1. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    20 Jul '11 11:122 edits
    This isn't the same as a like/unlike on a famous social site - the voter remains anonymous. Other key changes -

- The up vote/down vote is available to all members.
    - You may change your vote at anytime.
    - There is no limit on the number of votes - but please do not like/unlike every post you read. If abused, this may change...
    - The recommended page remains, but shows those with positive vote balances.

The alert mod button has been moved too - next to the up vote/down vote buuttons. This functions as before. A "share" button will be added shortly to give an options to post to the normal web 2 sites.

Oh, and all existing recs have been converted to "up votes".

edit : Also, forgot to mention, you can now up/down vote posts in private forums, but they will be excluded from the recommended posts of course.
  2. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    20 Jul '11 12:141 edit
    you may change your vote but you can't undo your vote it seems... just because you don't dislike a post anymore doesn't necessarily mean that you like it.

if you have liked a post i'd like to be able to undo the like by liking the thumbs up again.
  3. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    20 Jul '11 15:17
    Available to non-subscribers too?
  4. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    20 Jul '11 15:18
    Originally posted by Silverstriker
    Available to non-subscribers too?
    Yes.
  5. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    21 Jul '11 02:15
    i see the rec page has been replaced also, if a post get 6 likes and 3 dislikes will it enter above a post with 4 likes and zero dislikes?

i'd like to see the number of likes decide the order in the old recommended page, not an aggregate between the two.
  6. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    21 Jul '11 14:09
    3 dislikes eh... i wonder how many people disliked the post or just dislike anything i say. this is why the old rec page should just be determined by number of likes, there's always going to be people disliking posts simply because of who the poster is, plus generally posts with a lot of both likes and dislikes will be more interesting to read than a post with only a couple of likes, i know which one i'd rather read first and if i recall correctly that was the point of the recs page, to put the most interesting posts on public view in one area.

you know i'm making sense.
  7. New Braunfels, Texas
    Moves
    22 Jul '11 02:10
    Can we put "Unrecommended" in a post when we're clicking thumbs down. 😉
  8. Standard memberFrank Burns
    Great Big Stees
    Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Jul '11 14:12
    I've seen this practice in use in a local on-line news site I read Russ. It seems to invite trolls to "TD" thumbs down posts just to annoy people who have reasonable and thoughtful entries. It also allows trolls to "TU" inciteful entries. Please keep a good watch on this as it is possible for it to become a point of contention. Props for the effort though.

Please excuse my atrocious spelling...
  9. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    22 Jul '11 23:15
    I suppose we'll be seeing 50 recs when someone makes an accusation...it's like giving women the vote, the 'riff raff' just aint 'informed' in matters of the forum 😛
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Jul '11 07:42
    Originally posted by trev33
    3 dislikes eh... i wonder how many people disliked the post or just dislike anything i say...
    I "like" you trev...
  11. Joined
    31 Dec '02
    Moves
    24 Jul '11 18:59
    Whats your thoughts on moving the three new boxes that are currently on the extreme right of the thread box and shift them to set next to the date and time on the left as the old rec's used to?

Its just easier on the eye that way. Maybe the feedback/alert button can remain at the right by itself if that makes more sense.
  12. Wat?
    Moves
    04 Aug '11 15:23
    I still think it is positive to identify individuals who +/- a post in a thread.

It's a free world and a free forum, so if one wans to participate freely, then freely accept your name for a plus or neg.

It's only war-mongerers that hide names, or Lloyds of London.

Keep it free, and give illustration of who plussed or negated a post.

Too much ruddy hard work Russ? Same as installing Asian languages?

I don't think I'll be renewing my sub, come November, as the web manager can't explain why he has never tried to capacitate this 'International site' with language options. You just don't know how many Chinese, Thai, Malay, Asian chess players exist. I frown at your naievety!!

-m.
  13. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    05 Aug '11 12:24
    Originally posted by mikelom
    I still think it is positive to identify individuals who +/- a post in a thread.

It's a free world and a free forum, so if one wans to participate freely, then freely accept your name for a plus or neg.

It's only war-mongerers that hide names, or Lloyds of London.

Keep it free, and give illustration of who plussed or negated a post.

Too much rudd ...[text shortened]... many Chinese, Thai, Malay, Asian chess players exist. I frown at your naievety!!

-m.
    Thumbs down - JUST SO YOU KNOW IT WAS ME.

Its a chess site, who cares who gave a thumbs up or a thumbs down in the forums.

When someone gets a thumbs up for saying "I've been sick lately." it just shows how meaningless they are.

As for all the Chinese, Thai, Malay, Asian chess players there are plenty on the site so your Poo Poo of Russ is strange in that regard. Players are obviously coming to the site even though heir languages are not supported.

Can you imagine the hassle moderating a site where there are several languages being used, more hassle than it's worth.

Come November the door is that away >>>>>>>EXIT AND GOOD RIDDANCE

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree