XP Service Pack 2

XP Service Pack 2

Announcements

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
13 Aug 04

Because XP Service Pack 2 does have some implications for web sites (for example, pop up blocking being supported directly from IE), I have installed and tested with it to check for issues. There does not appear to be any problems, and I would recommend it to everyone because of the security enhancements. (Although you install it at your own risk.)

Available from windows update next week, or as a huge 'one off' 270 meg download for sys. admins. right now.

-Russ

E
Damn fine Clan!

The Double R Diner

Moves
13 Aug 04
2 edits

I actually installed it yesterday afternoon and then used RHP all night without any ill-affects, looks like Microsoft got it right with this one.

Although, I would suggest that you unplug any USB devices before running it and make sure you have about 500mb of free space on your hard drive as it creates a large backup before it installs.

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
16 Aug 04

The only side effect I have noticed now is that Outlook Express now blocks images by default - so RHP emails can now look a little strange. There is good reason why this is off by default now though.

The alternative, embedding images, bulks out the emails significantly, so not that desirable.

-Russ

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
17 Aug 04

Originally posted by Russ
The only side effect I have noticed now is that Outlook Express now blocks images by default - so RHP emails can now look a little strange. There is good reason why this is off by default now though.

The alternative, embedding images, bulks out the emails significantly, so not that desirable.

-Russ
I would guess it is off by default in order to stop 'gif' spammers. You know the one's that send you an email with a clear gif. As soon as you look at the mail your registered in a spam database.

RHP Code Monkey

RHP HQ

Moves
17 Aug 04

Originally posted by marinakatomb
I would guess it is off by default in order to stop 'gif' spammers. You know the one's that send you an email with a clear gif. As soon as you look at the mail your registered in a spam database.
That is exactly the reason - to stop tracking who has received (or rather read) emails.

-Russ