1. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    13 Aug '04 13:50
    Because XP Service Pack 2 does have some implications for web sites (for example, pop up blocking being supported directly from IE), I have installed and tested with it to check for issues. There does not appear to be any problems, and I would recommend it to everyone because of the security enhancements. (Although you install it at your own risk.)

Available from windows update next week, or as a huge 'one off' 270 meg download for sys. admins. right now.

-Russ
  2. Standard memberExy
    Damn fine Clan!
    Account suspended
    Moves
    13 Aug '04 15:122 edits
    I actually installed it yesterday afternoon and then used RHP all night without any ill-affects, looks like Microsoft got it right with this one.

Although, I would suggest that you unplug any USB devices before running it and make sure you have about 500mb of free space on your hard drive as it creates a large backup before it installs.
  3. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    16 Aug '04 07:50
    The only side effect I have noticed now is that Outlook Express now blocks images by default - so RHP emails can now look a little strange. There is good reason why this is off by default now though.

The alternative, embedding images, bulks out the emails significantly, so not that desirable.

-Russ
  4. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    17 Aug '04 04:49
    Originally posted by Russ
    The only side effect I have noticed now is that Outlook Express now blocks images by default - so RHP emails can now look a little strange. There is good reason why this is off by default now though.

The alternative, embedding images, bulks out the emails significantly, so not that desirable.

-Russ
    I would guess it is off by default in order to stop 'gif' spammers. You know the one's that send you an email with a clear gif. As soon as you look at the mail your registered in a spam database.
  5. SubscriberRuss
    RHP Code Monkey
    RHP HQ
    Moves
    17 Aug '04 13:42
    Originally posted by marinakatomb
    I would guess it is off by default in order to stop 'gif' spammers. You know the one's that send you an email with a clear gif. As soon as you look at the mail your registered in a spam database.
    That is exactly the reason - to stop tracking who has received (or rather read) emails.

-Russ

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree