Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Clans Forum

Clans Forum

  1. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    06 Feb '16 07:30
    The Misfits, Clan 25434, are looking for more players interested in fair clan challenges, an honest clan leader and playing in a clan that values integrity and fair play. Altruism and unselfishness a plus. Your rating is a secondary consideration for us. Yes, we're interested in how you play the game.

    If you're morally bankrupt, you need not apply. If you, too, look forward to a day when people will not be judged by their chess rating, but by the content of their character, then The Misfits are looking for you!

    The Misfits
    Clan 25434
  2. 06 Feb '16 07:52
    Are you supporting my proposal for a change to the new challenge rule ?
  3. Subscriber Paul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    06 Feb '16 08:50
    Originally posted by padger
    Are you supporting my proposal for a change to the new challenge rule ?
    I Hope you don't mind, but I am going to start a thread with your proposal, as I think it is worthy of discussion and it's own thread. I don't think it will get sufficient attention under this thread.
  4. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    06 Feb '16 11:06
    Originally posted by padger
    Are you supporting my proposal for a change to the new challenge rule ?
    Not a fan, no.
  5. 06 Feb '16 12:20
    Why not ?
    I thought you were after fair challenges
    The new rule not only doesn't do this it will promote more sand bagging in the future
    I had a challenge this week that under the new rules would have been allowed but if you looked at the 5 year average one was 300 points apart in favour of the opposition
    Another was 500 points in my favour
    Was that fair ?
  6. 06 Feb '16 12:40
    Originally posted by padger
    Why not ?
    I thought you were after fair challenges
    The new rule not only doesn't do this it will promote more sand bagging in the future
    I had a challenge this week that under the new rules would have been allowed but if you looked at the 5 year average one was 300 points apart in favour of the opposition
    Another was 500 points in my favour
    Was that fair ?
    She is only nominally interested in fairness despite the claims that she makes.
  7. Subscriber lemondrop
    The Art of War
    06 Feb '16 16:36
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    She is only nominally interested in fairness despite the claims that she makes.
    she is more interested in tooting her own horn and channeling Martin Luther King Jr.
  8. 06 Feb '16 22:02 / 1 edit
    that's probably still better then just being interested in screwing up the system, system needs change, i think a symposium is required
  9. Subscriber lemondrop
    The Art of War
    07 Feb '16 20:18
    Originally posted by Wycombe Al
    that's probably still better then just being interested in screwing up the system, system needs change, i think a symposium is required
    I'm all for change as long as we can still have fun
  10. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    08 Feb '16 00:34 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by padger
    Why not ?
    I thought you were after fair challenges
    The new rule not only doesn't do this it will promote more sand bagging in the future
    I had a challenge this week that under the new rules would have been allowed but if you looked at the 5 year average one was 300 points apart in favour of the opposition
    Another was 500 points in my favour
    Was that fair ?
    No, it's not fair. But, believe it or not, the responsibility is on the clan leader to do the research and pass on the challenge if it is against their clan. Clan leaders should still be vigilant.

    You know, just because I'm not a fan of your system, doesn't mean I'm not interested in fairness.

    My solution to sandbagging is a two-tier rating system. One rating for clan games and another rating for non-clan games. This would stop this nonsense of resigning tourney games so your clan rating goes down too, Keeping the ratings separate would stop this instantly. AND has the benefit of showing a player's true colors if there is a wide discrepancy in the two ratings.

    Ultimately, the oversight of sandbagging and recruiting players who do not try to "game the clan system" lies solely with the clan leaders. Don't expect the website to hold your hand for you. If you have an unfair challenge, don't accept it. It really is that simple.

    The only way a society changes voluntarily is if an unwanted behavior becomes 'socially unacceptable'. We need to make not only sandbagging, but recruiting players with deficient ethics, as well as running a clan with pathetic ethics, seen as 'socially unacceptable'. We need to ostracize players and leaders who display these unwanted behaviors.
  11. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    08 Feb '16 00:34
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    She is only nominally interested in fairness despite the claims that she makes.
    Get stuffed. You don't have the tiniest clue what fairness is.
  12. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    08 Feb '16 00:40
    Originally posted by lemondrop
    she is more interested in tooting her own horn and channeling Martin Luther King Jr.
    And you are more interested in seeing cheaters prosper and seeing hard-working clans lose. More interested in seeing a clan system that rewards ego over one that rewards hard work.

    You should be ashamed for following Robbie. So shut up.
  13. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    08 Feb '16 00:42
    Originally posted by lemondrop
    I'm all for change as long as we can still have fun
    News flash: Winning through hard work is more satisfying, and more fun than being #1 because you have gamed a system that you normally would have no chance in.
  14. Subscriber Suzianne
    Misfit Queen
    08 Feb '16 00:43
    Originally posted by Wycombe Al
    that's probably still better then just being interested in screwing up the system, system needs change, i think a symposium is required
    I've presented my solution to sandbagging in Site Ideas.
  15. Subscriber lemondrop
    The Art of War
    08 Feb '16 03:51
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    And you are more interested in seeing cheaters prosper and seeing hard-working clans lose. More interested in seeing a clan system that rewards ego over one that rewards hard work.

    You should be ashamed for following Robbie. So shut up.
    I don't know if that's true
    what I like is seeing inept clan leaders trounced
    you are absolutely right
    it is up to the clan leader to accept or reject a challenge
    unfortunately there are so many dead in the head clan leaders out there
    so much food for all those vulture clan leaders to fill up on