1. Joined
    07 Feb '09
    Moves
    10 Feb '16 00:57
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    I definitely appreciate where you are coming from- it's part of what prompted me to post your proposal as a thread in the clans forum.

Suzianne pointed out that the two proposals are not mutually exclusive, so perhaps we can have a multi-pronged approach to reform.
    Good reason to have the clan forum back.
    Constructive ideas being generated here.

Keep up the good work, guys and gals.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 Feb '16 03:48
    Originally posted by mghrn55
    Welcome back.

Clan forum does not require a password.
    But if it did, it would be "collusion" 😀😀
    That's why we're the Misfits, bro. 🙂
  3. Here
    Moves
    10 Feb '16 08:36
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    I definitely appreciate where you are coming from- it's part of what prompted me to post your proposal as a thread in the clans forum.

Suzianne pointed out that the two proposals are not mutually exclusive, so perhaps we can have a multi-pronged approach to reform.
    To use Suzianne's idea you would have to start from scratch where everybody had a 1200
    rating
    How about using the 5 year average as a starting point ,
    This would be the Clan Challenge Rating
    I still think that challenges should be no further apart than 100 points
  4. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    10 Feb '16 09:04
    Originally posted by padger
    To use Suzianne's idea you would have to start from scratch where everybody had a 1200
    rating
    How about using the 5 year average as a starting point ,
    This would be the Clan Challenge Rating
    I still think that challenges should be no further apart than 100 points
    The only thing is that a player's own genuine rating may go up or down by more than a hundred points. If you look at individual graph lines in a player's profile you'll see this sometimes.

Some players' graphs are steady, maybe a gentle rise or a gentle slope downwards. Others' graph lines resemble a rocky mountain range with peaks and troughs. Mine is like that. It varies a lot, and the range is considerably more than a hundred points.

I never cheat. I always try very hard to win. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. I agree though that vast manipulated differences, as in those notorious challenges between Strategic Ultimatum and Universitt of Chess For Fun should be totally outlawed. Oh, and whoever said that all clan members in such a case must be colluding, no, that's not the case. In that instance many SU members, like myself, were just playing for fun and never looked at clan standings as such. Once it was pointed out, yes, then some were culpable, but not necessarily so before that.

I don't think you could make a hard and fast rule that challenges should have a difference of no more than a hundred points. I love it when I can unexpectedly beat a much higher ranked player, and I have to grit my teeth and bear it when a much lower ranked player makes mincemeat of me!

Part of the joy of chess!
  5. Here
    Moves
    10 Feb '16 09:13
    Originally posted by Startreader
    The only thing is that a player's own genuine rating may go up or down by more than a hundred points. If you look at individual graph lines in a player's profile you'll see this sometimes.

Some players' graphs are steady, maybe a gentle rise or a gentle slope downwards. Others' graph lines resemble a rocky mountain range with peaks and troughs. Mine ...[text shortened]... and bear it when a much lower ranked player makes mincemeat of me!

Part of the joy of chess!
    I don't think that over 5 years the rating will change that much
    Their current rating might but not over 5 years
  6. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    10 Feb '16 09:47
    I don't think that over 5 years the rating will change that much
    Their current rating might but not over 5 years
    Over 5 years mine has.
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 Feb '16 10:16
    Oh, and whoever said that all clan members in such a case must be colluding, no, that's not the case. In that instance many SU members, like myself, were just playing for fun and never looked at clan standings as such. Once it was pointed out, yes, then some were culpable, but not necessarily so before that.
    No, I don't think anyone is blaming the players. Many of them pass their days in relative ignorance of what their clan leaders are up to. Look at the poor stiffs in the Easy Riders clan. They must be believing Robbie's nonsense, since he's apparently delivered on his promise to be #1. Most of them are probably blind to the deals he's made with his 'feeder' clans, some of them may not be, and others probably don't want to look too closely because they may find the Emperor indeed has no clothes.

It's the clan leaders I'd ban, for they are obviously colluding to further Robbie's pathetic dream of finally being "a winner" at something. The players not so much, even though, yes, some of these players have got to have some idea of what's going on. But they're just the foot soldiers. The clan leaders are the ones calling the shots and trying to bring down the clan system by making a mockery of it. They're the ones who should take the full brunt of penalty for their actions.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    10 Feb '16 10:18
    Over 5 years mine has.
    So has mine. I've gone from the mid-to-high-1400's to barely being able to keep above 1000.
  9. Here
    Moves
    10 Feb '16 14:47
    Over 5 years mine has.
    Are you telling me that your five year average has changed from week to week more than 100 points
    I don't believe you
  10. Here
    Moves
    10 Feb '16 15:17
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    So has mine. I've gone from the mid-to-high-1400's to barely being able to keep above 1000.
    OK lets see on Wednesday 10th 02
    My 5 yr average is 1228
    Suzianne's is 1072
    Startreader is 1043
    Lets see what they are next Wednesday
  11. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    10 Feb '16 20:061 edit
    Are you telling me that your five year average has changed from week to week more than 100 points
    I don't believe you
    I didn't say week to week, padger. But you can look at the graph and records on my Profile for yourself. It's no secret.
  12. Here
    Moves
    10 Feb '16 22:09
    I didn't say week to week, padger. But you can look at the graph and records on my Profile for yourself. It's no secret.
    That was the point I was making
    To use the 5 yr average as a starting point for a separate clan challenge rating
    This would then be affected by wins ,losses ,draws in clan challenges
  13. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    10 Feb '16 22:541 edit
    That was the point I was making
    To use the 5 yr average as a starting point for a separate clan challenge rating
    This would then be affected by wins ,losses ,draws in clan challenges
    Fair enough. But I still think your 100 points average is too tight. Make it 200 and I'd find it much more reasonable.
  14. Subscribercarystover
    Play while you can!
    Moves
    11 Feb '16 00:05
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    No, I don't think anyone is blaming the players. Many of them pass their days in relative ignorance of what their clan leaders are up to. Look at the poor stiffs in the Easy Riders clan. They must be believing Robbie's nonsense, since he's apparently delivered on his promise to be #1. Most of them are probably blind to the deals he's made with his 'feed ...[text shortened]... a mockery of it. They're the ones who should take the full brunt of penalty for their actions.
    Ignorance of the law does not excuse!
  15. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    11 Feb '16 00:19
    Originally posted by carystover
    Ignorance of the law does not excuse!
    What law was violated, again?

Can't be too surprised that a system with no safeguards got played by people.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree