Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Culture Forum

Culture Forum

1. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    12 Sep '12 17:01
    At FMF's suggestion of long ago, I finally saw the movie (for a while it wasn't available on Netflix).

Not as good as Glengarry Glen Ross, but well acted and interesting dialogue. I'd prefer movies with a plot though. Glengarry Glen Ross had a story to tell and told it well, even if the dialogue was the main attraction. American Buffalo is essentially a conversation between a reasonable criminal (Franz) and a hothead criminal (Hoffman). Some great dialogue though.

Are there any other good Mamet movies out there? I do enjoy the dialogue even though watching these movies makes me want to take a shower.
  2. 18 Sep '12 15:15
    Originally posted by sh76
    At FMF's suggestion of long ago, I finally saw the movie (for a while it wasn't available on Netflix).

Not as good as Glengarry Glen Ross, but well acted and interesting dialogue. I'd prefer movies with a plot though. Glengarry Glen Ross had a story to tell and told it well, even if the dialogue was the main attraction. American Buffalo is essentially a conv ...[text shortened]... re? I do enjoy the dialogue even though watching these movies makes me want to take a shower.
    I found his movies House of Games and The Spanish Prisoner to be interesting and challenging.
  3. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    18 Sep '12 18:30
    Originally posted by JS357
    I found his movies House of Games and The Spanish Prisoner to be interesting and challenging.
    Get this: I just saw a report where Mamet is redoing 'have gun will travel' in a non- western modern setting! A new TV series, the report said Eminem would star. Don't know about that one! The dialog will be interesting if so....
  4. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    19 Sep '12 12:38
    Originally posted by sh76

Not as good as Glengarry Glen Ross, but well acted and interesting dialogue. I'd prefer movies with a plot though. Glengarry Glen Ross had a story to tell and told it well, even if the dialogue was the main attraction. American Buffalo is essentially a conv ...[text shortened]... n a reasonable criminal (Franz) and a hothead criminal (Hoffman). Some great dialogue though.
    Denis Franz was great in the role of the shopkeeper, but I've often that this would have been a great little piece for DeNiro and Hoffman to have done in tandem.