1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    12 Sep '12 17:01
    At FMF's suggestion of long ago, I finally saw the movie (for a while it wasn't available on Netflix).

Not as good as Glengarry Glen Ross, but well acted and interesting dialogue. I'd prefer movies with a plot though. Glengarry Glen Ross had a story to tell and told it well, even if the dialogue was the main attraction. American Buffalo is essentially a conversation between a reasonable criminal (Franz) and a hothead criminal (Hoffman). Some great dialogue though.

Are there any other good Mamet movies out there? I do enjoy the dialogue even though watching these movies makes me want to take a shower.
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    18 Sep '12 15:15
    Originally posted by sh76
    At FMF's suggestion of long ago, I finally saw the movie (for a while it wasn't available on Netflix).

Not as good as Glengarry Glen Ross, but well acted and interesting dialogue. I'd prefer movies with a plot though. Glengarry Glen Ross had a story to tell and told it well, even if the dialogue was the main attraction. American Buffalo is essentially a conv ...[text shortened]... re? I do enjoy the dialogue even though watching these movies makes me want to take a shower.
    I found his movies House of Games and The Spanish Prisoner to be interesting and challenging.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    18 Sep '12 18:30
    Originally posted by JS357
    I found his movies House of Games and The Spanish Prisoner to be interesting and challenging.
    Get this: I just saw a report where Mamet is redoing 'have gun will travel' in a non- western modern setting! A new TV series, the report said Eminem would star. Don't know about that one! The dialog will be interesting if so....
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Sep '12 12:38
    Originally posted by sh76

Not as good as Glengarry Glen Ross, but well acted and interesting dialogue. I'd prefer movies with a plot though. Glengarry Glen Ross had a story to tell and told it well, even if the dialogue was the main attraction. American Buffalo is essentially a conv ...[text shortened]... n a reasonable criminal (Franz) and a hothead criminal (Hoffman). Some great dialogue though.
    Denis Franz was great in the role of the shopkeeper, but I've often that this would have been a great little piece for DeNiro and Hoffman to have done in tandem.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree