Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Culture Forum

Culture Forum

  1. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    12 Apr '13 00:53
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXR_eLlZDAs
  2. Standard member sonship
    the corrected one.
    13 Apr '13 13:27
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXR_eLlZDAs
    Have you heard the Mediterranean Suite by John McGlouglin?
    A very vesatile musician.
  3. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    13 Apr '13 21:16
    Originally posted by sonship
    Have you heard the Mediterranean Suite by John McGlouglin?
    A very vesatile musician.
    I listened to it, they are certainly virtuosic guitarists, It was a great display of speed. I wonder if John wrote it out just as it was played or of they were improvising also?
  4. 13 Apr '13 22:32
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXR_eLlZDAs
    I have always marveled at how a man with sausage-thick fingers could have such agility/dexterity on the guitar! I never saw him live, but my wife did. Closest I've been to Segovia was his now also defunct countryman, Narciso Yepes. One of my all time favorite concerts. Program included Concierto de Aranjuez, Bach, Sor, Granados, Villalobos, Concerto for Guitar by Mauro Giuliani, Scarlatti, Boccherini, Vivaldi. Yepes went all out then played almost 40 minutes of encores. The crowd would not stop the thunderous applause. One of my favorite concerts ever. Yepes played a ten string guitar.
  5. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    14 Apr '13 12:02
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    I have always marveled at how a man with sausage-thick fingers could have such agility/dexterity on the guitar! I never saw him live, but my wife did. Closest I've been to Segovia was his now also defunct countryman, Narciso Yepes. One of my all time favorite concerts. Program included Concierto de Aranjuez, Bach, Sor, Granados, Villalobos, Concerto for ...[text shortened]... op the thunderous applause. One of my favorite concerts ever. Yepes played a ten string guitar.
    Yeah, I have seen Yepes on youtube, incredible guitarist for sure. I think Julian Bream is of the same caliber, he really lets it all hang out when he plays.
  6. 14 Apr '13 13:45
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Yeah, I have seen Yepes on youtube, incredible guitarist for sure. I think Julian Bream is of the same caliber, he really lets it all hang out when he plays.
    I like Bream as well, just not as much as Yepes. I have had the great fortune of meeting the Romeros in person and a close friend of my wife chased Pepe Romero all over the place after a fling(one night stand) convinced she was "the one". My wife disapproved so much she dropped her as a friend. After that, however, no more Romeros. When the wife of Romero found out the rest of the Romeros cut all ties with anyone even remotely associated with the pursuer. Such is life. Now they don't even visit Dallas that much anymore.

    What do you think of Paco de Lucia? I think he is magnificent in his specific genre, Flamenco.
  7. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    16 Apr '13 13:56
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    I like Bream as well, just not as much as Yepes. I have had the great fortune of meeting the Romeros in person and a close friend of my wife chased Pepe Romero all over the place after a fling(one night stand) convinced she was "the one". My wife disapproved so much she dropped her as a friend. After that, however, no more Romeros. When the wife of Rome ...[text shortened]... hat do you think of Paco de Lucia? I think he is magnificent in his specific genre, Flamenco.
    Paco is a more modern Flamenco artist. Virtuoso in fact. I always liked the ones on the fringe, like Manitas De Plata, Hands of Silver. And Sabicas, the John Williams of flamenco.