1. rural North Dakota
    Moves
    03 Mar '09 18:38
    I just got a letter today from a friend of mine who loves opera as well as anything classical. Every Saturday she gets opera on stereo radio and turns up the volume so she can soak up every note. She lives in an isolated area and has several acres of pasture surrounded by woods. Every Saturday after she has turned on her radio, three buck deer approach the end of the pasture nearest her house and lie down " all ears". This is the only time she sees them. Anyone have experience with animals enjoying music?
  2. The sky
    Moves
    03 Mar '09 23:09
    Originally posted by ale1552
    I just got a letter today from a friend of mine who loves opera as well as anything classical. Every Saturday she gets opera on stereo radio and turns up the volume so she can soak up every note. She lives in an isolated area and has several acres of pasture surrounded by woods. Every Saturday after she has turned on her radio, three buck deer approach the ...[text shortened]... ars". This is the only time she sees them. Anyone have experience with animals enjoying music?
    I have played with a pianist who had a dog that liked to sing along. And at a family reunion we were playing Mendelssohn's string octet outside, and the cows on a pasture nearby were very curious, coming as close as possible and apparently listening to the music.
  3. Standard memberStTito
    The Mullverine
    Little Beirut
    Moves
    03 Mar '09 23:23
    Originally posted by ale1552
    I just got a letter today from a friend of mine who loves opera as well as anything classical. Every Saturday she gets opera on stereo radio and turns up the volume so she can soak up every note. She lives in an isolated area and has several acres of pasture surrounded by woods. Every Saturday after she has turned on her radio, three buck deer approach the ...[text shortened]... ars". This is the only time she sees them. Anyone have experience with animals enjoying music?
    My roomate had an amazon parrot who would mimic the bass clarinet line when I put in Miles Davis' Bitch's Brew. and would go nuts and try to sing along on my shoulder when I played Blackbird on the acoustic guitar. It was a pretty amazing creature. I tried to take it to open mic nights but my roomate did not want Peekay(the parrot) in smoky bars.
  4. rural North Dakota
    Moves
    04 Mar '09 04:22
    When I take my piano students to the nursing homes, or accompany other groups there, the birds in the aviaries all join in with the music. Everyone chuckles over that! Some sounds are hurtful to animals' ears, too. Every time my husband would get out his saxophone or especially his clarinet to practice, the siamese cat would lie on his back, pull his ears down with his paws, and yowl. It became a routine after the first few times that whenever the music cases came out he would start complaining and scolding. Then he'd head for the bathroom and I'd shut the door.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree