slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    27 Jul '10 21:341 edit
    YouTube&feature=related
  2. Joined
    13 Apr '07
    Moves
    28 Jul '10 01:57
    the link took me to the jordi savall vidieos of ancient music including dowlands lachrimae antiquae...really beautiful....i never would have seen this without your suggestion...thanks.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Aug '10 01:088 edits
    Originally posted by dustycat
    the link took me to the jordi savall vidieos of ancient music including dowlands lachrimae antiquae...really beautiful....i never would have seen this without your suggestion...thanks.
    Yeah, that's what is great about those kind of links, the side show links that come with it. I googled for Andre Segovia and found a BUNCH of video's of him and other masters of the guitar. I really love the playing of Julian Bream for instance, he has a bunch.
    Did you find his official site? Jordi Savall, that is?

http://www.alia-vox.com/

Can you identify the piece that plays in the background? I know I have heard it a dozen times but it is in the idiom of the time and sounds so interestingly different, I can't place the composer. Corelli?

BTW, I think it best listened to with earphones!

The second piece, he speaks, in Spanish of course, about Pancho and Sanchez from Don Quixote, then a really lovely piece with vocals by I assume, his wife and daughter.

Well, I spoke too soon, the music presented on his site cycles through from piece to piece, don't know if it it cycles back to the original I heard at first, you get different pieces when you listen. Also, the name of the piece scrolls on a black toolbar at the bottom. I wanted to hear the first piece but so far it hasn't cycled through yet.

Just found there a great little piece, vocal and lute?, El Mariner Bella Terra.
    I think it is not lute but some kind of harp. Also percussion.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Aug '10 02:324 edits
    Well it finally cycled around to the beginning as I heard it. I was originally Corelli like I thought but this is variations, Sonata 'La Follia' by Vivaldi. It really sounds incredible in original early music form. Especially with earphones!

He has won a bunch of awards! Also has over 70 CD's on his site for sale! He is one busy dude! Over 50 concerts around the world between now and next may. Two in the US only, too far for me to attend, Michigan and Austin texas I think. Sigh. Too bad he couldn't have been booked at the big houses like the Kennedy center or in Philly. Goes to all the trouble of setting up concerts in two cities in the midwest of US but is gone the next day. I would love to hear one of his orchestra's.

If you want to hear the original by Corelli, here is an early version by Nathan Milstein, a virtuoso who died way too early:

YouTube&feature=related

And an early music version by Vivaldi, Harmonico of Sonata Lafollia:

YouTube

But see if you can catch the right cycle to hear Savall's version.

He has virtuoso children also: Arianna Savall:

YouTube&feature=related
  5. Joined
    13 Apr '07
    Moves
    25 Aug '10 02:31
    its been awhile since i visited the culture forum...thanks for the above suggestions...la follia by corelli is quite beautiful...i listened to the milstein, harmonica and savall...all great in a different way...the savall version really great...by the way milstein lived to be almost 88 and played well into his 80s until he broke his hand...a great violinist indeed!...thanks again for the info!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree