Are there any classical music experts here?

Are there any classical music experts here?

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S
Done Asking

Washington, D.C.

Moves
22 Jul 08

I'd like to quote one of my favorite musical shaggy dog stories. I was as a youth fond of science fiction and followed the adventures of a space going swashbuckling problem solver named Ferdinand Feghoot. Here's one of his best:

It was because of Ferdinand Feghoot that the great composer Richard Wagner found himself under arrest on the planet Madama Butterfry in the year 5735. Feghoot had told him of the planet whose inhabitants claimed that every opera theme had been stolen from them. "Vhat!" cried Wagner. "Only Teutonic ideas are good for grand opera! Vhere is this planet? Come, ve take your space-time machine. I vill show you!"

Upon their arrival, they went through customs, where they were ordered to declare any arias, operas, etc. Wagner sneeringly gave them a list. Immediately he was arrested and charged with grand theft. "This is an outrage! Vhat themes could I possibly have stolen from you?" demanded Wagner, and the officer offered to give them a tour.

First, they came upon a vendor camped beneath a tree. His sign announced, "Root Bottom Stanley! Best deals in the galaxy! Absolutely no being in the universe undersells me! Garfinkels, $2 each." Nearby was a modest stand manned by a mole-like person. His sign said simply, "Garfinkels, 6 for a dollar."

"Vhat does this have to do with me?" said Wagner. Ferdinand Feghoot replied, "Tree Stan Undersold."

Next, they moved on to a storage shed filled with jars of fruits, preserves, and so on. A thin rubbery organism grasped the opening of one jar, crying out in a thin plaintive voice, "Please, can't I have some jam? Please, just a taste? Oh, how I long for it!"

"Doubtless," said Feghoot before anyone could speak, "This is the Nibble-Longing Lid."

Finally, the travelers were taken to a dock where a frog-like creature sat trapping shellfish. His topknot glowed fitfully, barely visible in the evening twilight. Mournfully, he kept to his task.

Wagner flew into a rage. "Vhat rubbish! Vhat could this possibly have to do with me!"

"Dim Oyster Sinker," said Ferdinand Feghoot.

(First published in The Magazine or Fantasy & Science Fiction, January 1961.)

S
Done Asking

Washington, D.C.

Moves
22 Jul 08
1 edit

oops. the local public radio station is playing Brahms D minor concerto with Leon Fleisher and George Szell -- it is on a 2-CD set with the 2nd concerto, Variations and Fugue for Piano in B flat major on a theme by Handel, and Waltzes (16) for Piano 4 hands.

The D minor was recorded in 1958 and comes in at about 47 minutes. Sounds very clear, and I simply love Fleisher's attack. This is just a gut reaction after hearing it for the first time, but I'm so familiar with the piece that I just know when it feels just right or not. This recording, this interpretation, is certainly one of the best I've ever heard. The 3rd movement is electrifying. You can hear the collaboration of Fleisher and Szell as the entrance of the piano and the orchestra at any different moment sounds right on. They are in sync with one another.There is that last horn call ... wonderful.

The B Flat major concerto was recorded in 1962 and is also about 47 minutes.

The Handel variations and the waltzes, which is the one track that is a monaural recording, were recorded in 1956.

I saw Fleisher perform a solo recital in 1967 while I was in college -- he was magnificent.

So I'm buying this two-disc set from Archive as it's on sale. Also have to have Fleisher's Ravel for the left hand, recorded after his right hand and wrist were disabled.

It is a miracle that he's 1. still alive; and 2. now able to perform with both hands. He is a wonderful artist.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
22 Jul 08

Originally posted by Scriabin
oops. the local public radio station is playing Brahms D minor concerto with Leon Fleisher and George Szell -- it is on a 2-CD set with the 2nd concerto, Variations and Fugue for Piano in B flat major on a theme by Handel, and Waltzes (16) for Piano 4 hands.

The D minor was recorded in 1958 and comes in at about 47 minutes. Sounds very clear, and I simpl ...[text shortened]... 's 1. still alive; and 2. now able to perform with both hands. He is a wonderful artist.
I didn't know he got his right hand back! Great Ferdinand story!
I too read almost all of the feghoot stories. I wrote one of my own, you are the first person to here it:
Ferdinand feghoot in the 19th century was stuck on this tall ship, 4 master.
He was talking to the son of James Watt, that's right, Wattson.
So they started testing the new steam engines on the craft going out on the high seas. They started having trouble with the equipment, the engine caught fire and they saw another schooner come by, sweet talked the owner to come on board, that was before the owner figured out the tall ship was in trouble. They quickly overcame the crew and took over, taking the engine, as much of it that was left, on to the new boat.
They got the engine working again but only for a while, it started on fire down below. They saw another tall ship coming into view, hailed them over and again took over the ship and transferred the steam engine to the other boat. This went on for several months, engine catching fire, grabbing a new boat and going on their way. Eventually the British Royal Navy got wind of this and set a trap with a 20 gun man o war worked over to look like a freight hauler. So the same thing happened, engine catches fire again, they call out the boat just happening by, this time totally surprised it was a heavily armed man o war and were captured. Brought to justice, the judge saying well you have been found guilty of being a pirate, do you have anything to say in your defense?
Ferdinand said, yes your honor, we have been testing these engines and we are really only interested in the environment. You see judge, we were trying to get 100 miles to the galleon.

S
Done Asking

Washington, D.C.

Moves
23 Jul 08

Originally posted by sonhouse
I didn't know he got his right hand back! Great Ferdinand story!
I too read almost all of the feghoot stories. I wrote one of my own, you are the first person to here it:
Ferdinand feghoot in the 19th century was stuck on this tall ship, 4 master.
He was talking to the son of James Watt, that's right, Wattson.
So they started testing the new steam engin ...[text shortened]... interested in the environment. You see judge, we were trying to get 100 miles to the galleon.
ouch

Ursulakantor

Pittsburgh, PA

Moves
23 Jul 08

Originally posted by sonhouse
I didn't know he got his right hand back!
Yes. Apparently, he had to invest in an entirely different technique, almost learning from scratch
how to get the muscles in his hand to react to the music in a way that wasn't painful.

As I understand, it wasn't just about hand position, but the very nature of how the note is struck.
A testament to what a monumental player he is.

Nemesio

S
Done Asking

Washington, D.C.

Moves
23 Jul 08

The Symphony Orchestra was playing a concert in the park and was in the middle of Beethoven's 9th Symphony. The basses, in the back of the orchestra, decided they had a few minutes to spare before being required to play anything, so they ran across the street to the pub for a few beers. As it was quite a windy day, before they left for the pub they found some string to wrap around their music stands to secure their music while they were gone. Once at the tavern, they could hear the music and keep up with the progress of the piece.

Rather than leisurely enjoyment of one beer, the basses decided they would actually prefer some hasty enjoyment of multiple beers. After finishing their fourth or fifth beverage they decided that they had better hurry, because the last movement of the ninth symphony was underway. They stumbled back onto the bandstand, but in their inebriated state they found they were fumbling with the string, trying to get it loose, but not having much success. The conductor saw what was happening and instantly sized up the situation: it was the bottom of the ninth, the score was tied and the basses were loaded.

S
Done Asking

Washington, D.C.

Moves
25 Jul 08

I had to miss out on seeing Fleisher again, and no doubt my last opportunity to do so as he is 80 yrs old. He is probably right now in about the third movement of Mozart's 40th symphony not 5 miles from where I write. And tickets were available, too. But noooo, I had to work tonight on government stuff. Fleisher conducted the Baltimore Symphony in 2 Mozart symphonies and played a Mozart piano concerto as an 80th birthday tribute concert here in the Washington suburbs. Wish I could have been there.

I'm listening now, however, to a recording of the Brahms violin concerto I've never heard before. It is the 1991 performance by Nigel Kennedy and Klaus Tennstedt with the London PO.

And it is very curious, indeed. Kennedy is in the midst now of the longest and most original cadenzas I've ever heard. Plus, he and the orchestra have played the first movement at about half the normal tempo.

Not sure I like this one --

Nosir, not sure 'tall. Bit over the top.