1. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    11 Mar '08 19:46
    I like reading about how artists think about art and the lives that shape that thinking. Hoping to get some reading recommendations.

I'll start with a powerful autobiography.

"Straight Life - The Story of Art Pepper" Art and Laurie Pepper.
    An unvarnished look at the life of a jazz great and seriously flawed human being. From an abusive childhood through life as a criminal, junkie, inmate at San Quentin and recovery via Synanon, Pepper manages to be alternately insightful and clueless about life.
  2. Standard memberDrKF
    incipit parodia
    Moves
    11 Mar '08 20:09
    Vincent van Gogh's collected letters or his autobiography 'Dear Theo'. Or both.
  3. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    11 Mar '08 20:231 edit
    The Canadian Artists, collectively known as "The Group of Seven" were an interesting bunch. There have been many books written about this group.

I recommend reading about Tom Thomson, A.Y. Jackson and Lawren Harris. Lawren got a little transcendental in his later years but his earlier work is my favourite from this group.
  4. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    11 Mar '08 23:16
    Originally posted by DrKF
    Vincent van Gogh's collected letters or his autobiography 'Dear Theo'. Or both.
    Thanks for the rec. There's a collection at my local library. I'll check it out.
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    11 Mar '08 23:16
    Originally posted by uzless
    The Canadian Artists, collectively known as "The Group of Seven" were an interesting bunch. There have been many books written about this group.

I recommend reading about Tom Thomson, A.Y. Jackson and Lawren Harris. Lawren got a little transcendental in his later years but his earlier work is my favourite from this group.
    Any chance you can recommend a couple of titles that you found particularly insightful?
  6. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    12 Mar '08 19:18
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Any chance you can recommend a couple of titles that you found particularly insightful?
    http://www.amazon.ca/Tom-Thomson-Introduction-His-Life/dp/155297684X/ref=pd_ecc_rvi_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1205348645&sr=8-8
  7. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    12 Mar '08 19:242 edits
    Originally posted by uzless
    http://www.amazon.ca/Tom-Thomson-Introduction-His-Life/dp/155297684X/ref=pd_ecc_rvi_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1205348645&sr=8-8
    Thanks, but maybe you lost track of the intent of this thread. I'm particularly interested in autobiography or the artists personal views on art whether in general or his own. This seems biographical in nature. Do you know of anything along those lines that you can recommend?
  8. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    12 Mar '08 19:31
    Salvador Dali :"Often I hear people say that I am a fool. I'll tell you this: the only difference between a fool and me is that I am not a fool."
  9. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    12 Mar '08 20:32
    Thanks, but maybe you lost track of the intent of this thread. I'm particularly interested in autobiography or the artists personal views on art whether in general or his own. This seems biographical in nature. Do you know of anything along those lines that you can recommend?
    no, not sure if these guys wrote autobiographies.
  10. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    13 Mar '08 09:03
    I like reading about how artists think about art and the lives that shape that thinking. Hoping to get some reading recommendations.
    "The Memoirs of Giorgio de Chirico"
    "The Secret Life of Salvador Dali"
  11. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    13 Mar '08 12:50
    Originally posted by Mephisto2
    Salvador Dali :"Often I hear people say that I am a fool. I'll tell you this: the only difference between a fool and me is that I am not a fool."
    lol. Good one.
  12. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    13 Mar '08 12:51
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    "The Memoirs of Giorgio de Chirico"
    "The Secret Life of Salvador Dali"
    These both look intriguing. I'll have to check them out. Thanks for the recs.
  13. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    13 Mar '08 13:25
    These both look intriguing. I'll have to check them out. Thanks for the recs.
    Benvenuto Cellini's Autobiography is also a good read, if you have time.
  14. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    13 Mar '08 20:17
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Benvenuto Cellini's Autobiography is also a good read, if you have time.
    Thanks.
  15. Standard memberIron Monkey
    Primal Primate
    holiest of holies
    Moves
    16 Mar '08 11:40

I'll start with a powerful autobiography.

"Straight Life - The Story of Art Pepper" Art and Laurie Pepper.
    An unvarnished look at the life of a jazz great and seriously flawed human being. From an abusive childhood th ...[text shortened]... nd recovery via Synanon, Pepper manages to be alternately insightful and clueless about life.
    i guess you're looking for reading material more than video, but you might find Let's Get Lost interesting - it's a doco on the life of jazz trumpeter and drug addict Chet Baker - you migt be able to find it on DVD somewhere.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095515/

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree