Audiophile Inquiry

Audiophile Inquiry

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
15 Jan 11

Putting the finishing touches on my home theater system, and I find myself in the market for a monoblock amplifier. At least, that's what I'm told I need to help drive a passive (non-directional) subwoofer.

Currently, the powered subwoofer and five other speakers (R/L F/B and center console) are all going through the AV in their appropriate slots, whereas the passive sub is going through a 'bi-amp' plug. I'm not getting much from it, at least not compared to the rest of the speakers. Thus, the suggestion from the manufacturer to use a monoblock amplifier.

I really don't want to spend more than $1K, and I'm not opposed to used. Any suggestions along these lines, or suggestions otherwise?

Thanks in advance!

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
16 Jan 11
2 edits

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
Putting the finishing touches on my home theater system, and I find myself in the market for a monoblock amplifier. At least, that's what I'm told I need to help drive a passive (non-directional) subwoofer.

Currently, the powered subwoofer and five other speakers (R/L F/B and center console) are all going through the AV in their appropriate slots, wher used. Any suggestions along these lines, or suggestions otherwise?

Thanks in advance!
You certainly don't need to spend a kilobuck to get a decent bass amp. Any decent amp will do, since the subwolfer output jack has already filtered out the highs. You can go to a hock shop and just get a bass amp, tube type or transistor, doesn't make much difference. There is a subwolfer output on your home theater setup, right? There are bass guitar amps that sometimes have separate speaker cabinet and amp, try to get one of those, it will drive you out of the house with bass.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
18 Jan 11

I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the suggestion, sonhouse!