1. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    09 Mar '08 14:28
    Go Away White. Did anyone manage to listen to it?
  2. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    09 Mar '08 14:43
    New?! Seriously?!
  3. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    09 Mar '08 14:44
    Originally posted by Seitse
    New?! Seriously?!
    Yep. 2008 release.
  4. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    09 Mar '08 15:13
    Amazon, here we go! 😵

Thanks for the heads up!
  5. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    09 Mar '08 15:23
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Amazon, here we go! 😵

Thanks for the heads up!
    Apparently it was recorded in just 18 days, with some songs being recorded in one take!

Here's an Amazon review that pretty much describes my initial reaction:
    I was too young to have appreciated Bauhaus first time around but as a teenager I discovered their music and was immediately hooked. I must confess I got into plenty of other bands at the time that were also associated with the "Goth" label. The difference is that although I stopped listening to many of those bands years ago I still liked Bauhaus. Their music was always more interesting, more experimental and more diverse than they seem to be given credit for.

"Go away white" is pretty good although not quite as strong as their old work. It does however have an urgency and rawness that is sadly lacking when most bands reform and attempt to make new music.

Daniel Ash is a hugely underrated guitarist and on this album displays a remarkable creativity in the way he plays. On many of the tracks the guitar appears to be screaming with pain or is warped beyond recognition... but in a good way! He adds an intensity that really sits well with the bass and drums.

However some of the tracks don't quite sit right with me. "Too much 21st century" and "International bullet proof talent" sound a little bit over the top especially with the vocals. Two or three other tracks are merely pleasant to listen to but don't really grab me. They're not bad, just not great.

For me this album is more successful on the tracks that are more experimental and where the band explore darker sounds such as on "Saved", "The dog's a vapour" and "Zirkir". I feel these are the moments where Bauhaus really plays to their strengths. "The dog's a vapour" in particular has a really intense sound punctured by howling guitar and pounding percussion. "Saved" is haunting and melancholic with stripped down instrumentation and chiming bells.

Overall "Go away white" will probably mostly appeal to existing Bauhaus fans. On one hand there is something distinctly Bauhaus about it but at the same time it doesn't sound like a rehash of the old albums. Taken as a whole it works quite well and the stronger tracks make it worth a purchase. For people new to the group it might be better to start from the beginning with "In the flat field". Now that is a REALLY twisted album.
  6. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    09 Mar '08 17:09
    Europeans really have mediocre tastes in music.
  7. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Moves
    09 Mar '08 17:10
    Go listen some Britney, Chuck.
  8. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    09 Mar '08 17:13
    Originally posted by badmoon
    Take your xenophobia to the debates forum, spanky.
  9. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    09 Mar '08 17:24
    Originally posted by badmoon
    New Kids On The Block.

I think that pretty much wraps that argument up.
  10. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    10 Mar '08 00:41
    My apologies. I mixed up Bauhaus with another band. I'm a fan of Peter Murphey's actually.
  11. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    10 Mar '08 15:41
    Originally posted by Palynka
    [/i]
    will probably mostly appeal to existing Bauhaus fans

This usually means it's a crap album. Too bad. I like the old stuff.
  12. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    10 Mar '08 18:06
    Originally posted by uzless
    will probably mostly appeal to existing Bauhaus fans

This usually means it's a crap album. Too bad. I like the old stuff.
    Well... I don't expect musical revolution from the older generation.

It's still a decent album. I for one am happy that it doesn't really soil the memory of their previous albums. Bauhaus is one of the very few bands that I have been listening to for years and still do regularly. Joy Division is probably second on that very restricted list.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree