Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Culture Forum

Culture Forum

  1. 23 May '09 18:58
    if anyone would like to listen to some beautiful Gaelic songs, here are some links that i have uploaded, band is Altan - regards Robbie.

    http://www.humyo.com/F/1308699-131287603

    http://www.humyo.com/F/1308699-131287315

    http://www.humyo.com/F/1308699-131287453

    relax and hear the island sea gently lapping against the shore as you supp on your favourite single malt!

    Slàinte Mhath!
  2. 24 May '09 03:58
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    if anyone would like to listen to some beautiful Gaelic songs, here are some links that i have uploaded, band is Altan - regards Robbie.

    http://www.humyo.com/F/1308699-131287603

    http://www.humyo.com/F/1308699-131287315

    http://www.humyo.com/F/1308699-131287453

    relax and hear the island sea gently lapping against the shore as you supp on your favourite single malt!

    Slàinte Mhath!
    NICE!!!!!!!!!
  3. 24 May '09 19:19
    Originally posted by pawnhandler
    NICE!!!!!!!!!
    i am so glad you have enjoyed them my friend, very haunting.

    i have asked my friends who are fluent Gealic speakers to translate, but it seems that this is Irish Gaelic, originally the same, but now considerably different. So if there are any Irish speakers of the language of the ancient Celts, please let me know, for I would dearly love to know the words of these tunes - regards Robbie.
  4. Standard member al68
    wimbledon champ
    24 May '09 20:50
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    if anyone would like to listen to some beautiful Gaelic songs, here are some links that i have uploaded, band is Altan - regards Robbie.

    http://www.humyo.com/F/1308699-131287603

    http://www.humyo.com/F/1308699-131287315

    http://www.humyo.com/F/1308699-131287453

    relax and hear the island sea gently lapping against the shore as you supp on your favourite single malt!

    Slàinte Mhath!
    These are beautiful Robbie,thanks for sharing.
  5. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    24 May '09 22:34 / 4 edits
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    i am so glad you have enjoyed them my friend, very haunting.

    i have asked my friends who are fluent Gealic speakers to translate, but it seems that this is Irish Gaelic, originally the same, but now considerably different. So if there are any Irish speakers of the language of the ancient Celts, please let me know, for I would dearly love to know the words of these tunes - regards Robbie.
    Here is a video of Altan from their own website, an instrumental, it seems a bit low in volume but it's a great tune:
    hit 'live' on the home page and scroll down, there is a video in small format.
    http://www.altan.ie/live.html

    The great music you put up is kind of in the Enya tradition, don't you think?
    Take a listen to this nice piece, from Kathy Mattea and Dougie MacClean,
    "I am ready for the storm". Dougie's song. Did you ever hear his 'Caladonia'. the recorded version with dual guitar's in the intro? Great song.
    Oh, man, lightning is hitting very close, I think I will have to close down soon, so the computers won't get destroyed. That last one was about a thousand feet away!
    Oh yeah, the link:
    Ironic, eh. A huge thunderstorm is underway here in Slatington Pa, USA as I type. I can say I am NOT ready for the storm!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv4Wpychxh8&NR=1
  6. 24 May '09 23:10
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Here is a video of Altan from their own website, an instrumental, it seems a bit low in volume but it's a great tune:
    hit 'live' on the home page and scroll down, there is a video in small format.
    http://www.altan.ie/live.html

    The great music you put up is kind of in the Enya tradition, don't you think?
    Take a listen to this nice piece, from Kathy Mat ...[text shortened]... an say I am NOT ready for the storm!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv4Wpychxh8&NR=1
    Lol, Caledonia, is the second national anthem of Scotland, as for Altan and Enya, well, i dunno, for, well, its probably best left unsaid, Clannad produced some beautiful music, no doubt, but they, well in my opinion, kind of forgot their roots, perhaps because of their commercial success, who can tell and became all synthesizers, Peruvian pipes and glockenspiels! Perhaps the appeal of Altan is they have just played it how it is!

    Of the tree bands Cappercaillie, Clannad and Altan, i would go and see Altan every time.

    Have you heard of Kate Rusby, a beautiful singer from the north of England, kind of like June Tabor, but man, what a voice. and also there is a great Scottish band, which sing not in Gaelic, but in Lowland Scots, the old blind dogs. i think they have each gone their separate ways now, but when they were together, they were awesome. we should start a link, which folk are you listening to
  7. 24 May '09 23:22
    Originally posted by al68
    These are beautiful Robbie,thanks for sharing.
    hey, that really awesome, i am really happy people are enjoying them!
  8. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    25 May '09 00:13
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Lol, Caledonia, is the second national anthem of Scotland, as for Altan and Enya, well, i dunno, for, well, its probably best left unsaid, Clannad produced some beautiful music, no doubt, but they, well in my opinion, kind of forgot their roots, perhaps because of their commercial success, who can tell and became all synthesizers, Peruvian pipes and ...[text shortened]... ey were together, they were awesome. we should start a link, which folk are you listening to
    Did you hear that link to I am ready for the storm? We lost power for about an hour just after I posted that! It was a lot closer than a thousand feet as it turned out, one block away, lightning hit a tree, knocked a big branch on the 10,000 volt lines, power back now, obviously.
    I saw Clannad live in Santa Monica at our old hangout (my band Southwind Irish Band played there a half dozen time) at McCabes guitar shop near the beach in LA. One of the band members was so shiitfaced, he had to take a leak quickly! There was a small bathroom just offstage and he stumbled down the steps of the stage to take a whiz which everyone heard, we were all chuckling, then a huge flushing sound! The place broke up. He sheepishly went back on stage and the show went on, that was back in the good old days before the synth's and such. It was a great band back then. I just found this song by Loreena McKennitt, 'Beneath a Phrygian Sky'. She is one of my favorites, great harpist and singer, you asked what I am listening to, this is it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siXe7bKt1q0&feature=related