1. Standard memberMarcusr
    Bat Chain Puller
    Gone
    Moves
    05 Oct '11 15:27
    Sad to hear of the death of Bert Jansch, a giant amongst musicians. Both a fine songwriter and an incendiary guitar player who influenced so many and was one of the reasons I first started to listen to folk music. Think I shall go and listen to Avocet...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/oct/05/bert-jansch
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Oct '11 01:01
    Originally posted by Marcusr
    Sad to hear of the death of Bert Jansch, a giant amongst musicians. Both a fine songwriter and an incendiary guitar player who influenced so many and was one of the reasons I first started to listen to folk music. Think I shall go and listen to Avocet...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/oct/05/bert-jansch
    Oh man, what a loss. I distinctly remember 1963, Denver Folklore Center run by Harry Tuft. He played the version of the Bert Jansch record that came to the US, 'Lucky Thirteen'. He played Angie, a mind blowing instrumental that most people can't play like that even today 50 years later. I can do it now but decades later. I heard Simon try to do it, didn't come close. Needle of Death, It don't bother me, classic songs. He really influenced my playing and was thrilled to hear he was with Pentangle with John Renbourn and company. They innovated around Davy Graham licks. I met John Renbourn at a guitar festival in Tel Aviv and asked him about how much they sounded like Davy Graham, he said they followed him around London like puppy dogs, going to all his shows, till he flaked out on drugs, he is just now beginning to play professionally again, Davy, not John, Renbourn never stopped playing.

Bert was a unique immense talent and he will be sorely missed in THIS household for sure.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    08 Oct '11 10:27
    Yes, Bert Jansch was my way into folk music too. I shall listen to some of his albums later this evening.
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    08 Oct '11 16:082 edits
    Here is an audio only track from his first album, remember, this was in the early 60's:

Angie:

YouTube

Most guitarists will have a hard time getting all the subtleties of this tune even today.

Here is a Pentanglesk tune by John Renbourn and Bert Jansch, Hole in the Coal:

YouTube&feature=related
  5. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    08 Oct '11 19:09
    Truly a great loss. Sad news indeed.
  6. Germany
    Moves
    09 Oct '11 11:45
    That's too bad. I'm quite fond of The Pentangle.
  7. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    09 Oct '11 13:42
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    That's too bad. I'm quite fond of The Pentangle.
    That can be taken several ways.....
  8. Joined
    04 Sep '07
    Moves
    12 Oct '11 20:40
    A very sad loss of a marvellous musician. RIP.
    There is more about him, Pentangle, Davy Graham, many others and the culture through which they lived in a wonderful recent book: "Electric Eden" by Rob Young. I can't recommend it too highly.
  9. Standard memberMarcusr
    Bat Chain Puller
    Gone
    Moves
    13 Oct '11 22:112 edits
    Originally posted by dikankan
    "Electric Eden" by Rob Young. I can't recommend it too highly.
    Gets my vote too, along with "The Rest is Noise" by Alex Ross, as best general reader on a music genre in a good while. Though quite what that genre is may be up for debate.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree