1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    05 Nov '17 14:49
    So many to choose from. But as a muso I cant go past "Spiderland" by Slint. A band led by an amazing drummer. A lot of harmonics, slow beautiful and loud guitars, alternate timings and drop " D " tunings: this album has put itself up there as the most original re-definition of rock music I've come across since the Velvet Underground . Of course there are many others like My Bloody Valentine's "Loveless " , Tool's "Amnesia" or the relentlessness of Nick Cave's Birthday Party.

It could be successfully argued that all the above mentioned bands come from the likes of Iggy Pop, Neil Young, Dead Kennedy's and prog rock bands of the 70's like Pink Floyd. However I think in each case these examples have re-created the 'rock' sound so much so that they have made it their own. The success measured in how many these bands inspired to start their own bands, not in record sales.
  2. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    05 Nov '17 18:392 edits
    Jethro Tull . No band was even close to them in originality.
    Imagine releasing an album (Thick as a Brick) which is a single song and succeeding is almost unimaginable to me.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Nov '17 19:03
    Originally posted by @caissad4
    Imagine releasing an album (Thick as a Brick) which is a single song and succeeding is almost unimaginable to me.
    Yes, well when he attributed Bach's Bouree to himself, I lost respect for him and his music.

The record didn't say 'arrangement by Tull' it said Bouree by Jethro Tull. Every aspiring guitar player learns the bouree but NOBODY says they wrote it.
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    05 Nov '17 22:55
    Good call.
    Anything more obscure or recent?
  5. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    07 Nov '17 16:52
    Originally posted by @sonhouse
    Yes, well when he attributed Bach's Bouree to himself, I lost respect for him and his music.
    The record didn't say 'arrangement by Tull' it said Bouree by Jethro Tull. Every aspiring guitar player learns the bouree but NOBODY says they wrote it.
    My 8 track said Bach.
    BtW, Jethro Tull is a them.
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    07 Nov '17 17:02
    My 8 track said Bach.
    BtW, Jethro Tull is a them.
    Oh? I thought it was like ' Bon Jovi'

Bach eh? I get the feeling his music is pretty well known despite being original in his time
  7. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    08 Nov '17 10:23
    Originally posted by @karoly-aczel
    Oh? I thought it [ Jethro Tull ] was like ' Bon Jovi'
    Almost... except JT is not a leading member of JT. The original Jethro was the inventor of a horse-drawn seed drill during the early industrial revolution. The band was named after him.

So, not exactly John Bon Jovi, but not exactly Pink ('Which of you is Pink?' ) Floyd, either.
  8. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    13 Nov '17 20:15
    So many to choose from. But as a muso I cant go past "Spiderland" by Slint. A band led by an amazing drummer. A lot of harmonics, slow beautiful and loud guitars, alternate timings and drop " D " tunings: this album has put itself up there as the most original re-definition of rock music I've come across since the Velvet Underground . Of course there a ...[text shortened]... success measured in how many these bands inspired to start their own bands, not in record sales.
    AMM - "The Crypt" 12 June 1968

Cornelius Cardew - piano. cello
    Lou Gare - saxophone, violin
    Christopher Hobbs - percussion
    Eddie Prevost- percussion
    Keith Rowe - guitar, electronics

YouTube
  9. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    13 Nov '17 22:02
    So many to choose from. But as a muso I cant go past "Spiderland" by Slint. A band led by an amazing drummer. A lot of harmonics, slow beautiful and loud guitars, alternate timings and drop " D " tunings: this album has put itself up there as the most original re-definition of rock music I've come across since the Velvet Underground . Of course there a ...[text shortened]... success measured in how many these bands inspired to start their own bands, not in record sales.
    Original is a difficult concept in music. My pick would be Fleetwood Mac. Lindsey Buckingham is a great guitarist, and Stevie Nicks has the voice of angels (a hottie too!) 😀
  10. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    14 Nov '17 00:47
    Originally posted by @mchill
    Original is a difficult concept in music. My pick would be Fleetwood Mac. Lindsey Buckingham is a great guitarist, and Stevie Nicks has the voice of angels (a hottie too!) 😀
    I first heard Fleetwood Mac on the radio in New Orleans, late 1973. Immediately went out and bought their album, Mystery to Me, on 8-track. It is still one of my favorites to listen to on You Tube.
  11. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    08 Dec '17 17:09
    For originality it would be Radiohead for me. So many great albums.

Ive been a musical funk for a while but recently discovered Warpaint, this song in particular has a fresh vibe to it.
    YouTube

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree