1. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    29 Feb '08 01:20
    Chico Buarque is the King (imo).
    What are your favorite Bossa songs/composers?
  2. Joined
    02 Apr '07
    Moves
    29 Feb '08 02:481 edit
    Originally posted by serigado
    Chico Buarque is the King (imo).
    What are your favorite Bossa songs/composers?
    Jobim ranks far up the list for sure.

Astrud Gilberto (Dindi, Photograph, Once I Loved, Meditation, etc., etc., etc., a lot of which falls under the rubric of Jobim)

So Danco Samba (Getz/Gilberto)

Some Paul Desmond (e.g., Samba de Orfeu)

Wave (Toots Thielmans & Elis Regina)

Not all of this falls strictly under the rubric of Bossa Nova, but close enough...
  3. Subscribergregsflat
    Guitarist
    @William Penn's gaze
    Moves
    29 Feb '08 06:161 edit
    Paulinho Da Viola, guitarist
    A native Brazilian from RHP turned me on to him.

How about French composer Michele LeGrand:
    Watch What Happens, A Man & a Women Theme
  4. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    29 Feb '08 13:41
    Originally posted by Mark Adkins
    Jobim ranks far up the list for sure.

Astrud Gilberto (Dindi, Photograph, Once I Loved, Meditation, etc., etc., etc., a lot of which falls under the rubric of Jobim)

So Danco Samba (Getz/Gilberto)

Some Paul Desmond (e.g., Samba de Orfeu)

Wave (Toots Thielmans & Elis Regina)

Not all of this falls strictly under the rubric of Bossa Nova, but close enough...
    Tom Jobim is another God.

"So Danco Samba" -> learning to play that one now 🙂
  5. Joined
    28 Aug '07
    Moves
    29 Feb '08 13:41
    Originally posted by gregsflat
    Paulinho Da Viola, guitarist
    A native Brazilian from RHP turned me on to him.

How about French composer Michele LeGrand:
    Watch What Happens, A Man & a Women Theme
    Got to check him out.
  6. Joined
    02 Apr '07
    Moves
    29 Feb '08 20:17
    Originally posted by serigado
    Tom Jobim is another God.

"So Danco Samba" -> learning to play that one now 🙂
    There is a very fine three disc set called The Man From Ipanema showcasing his work and that of many of the artists who became famous (or more famous) by association with his music. If I recall correctly, the first disc consists of vocal versions, the second contains instrumental versions only, and the third gives variant versions of a relatively few songs -- the latter sounds like it ought to be tedious but (for the most part) it isn't).

The audio quality is excellent and the arrangements are really quite tasteful. Some of the simpler arrangements where the vocalist sings in Portugeuse rather than English are delightfully authentic and pleasing to the ear, but there are also some very fine, very lush orchestral arrangements to be found. I used to listen to these discs (especially the first one) daily. The second disc is probably the least interesting in large part, containing a number of rather vapid entries which fall more into the category of elevator music than the original, vital, charming and elegant songs to be heard elsewhere in the collection.
  7. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    02 Mar '08 06:32
    i love bossa... it's a beautiful style... how about sergio mendes...? not really bossa's i guess, more of a latin jazz feel, but a great arranger

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree