Bowie's Post-Scary Monsters' Commercial Success

Bowie's Post-Scary Monsters' Commercial Success

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
19 May 10
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
Has there ever been a clearer example of consciously reducing the quality of one's music in order to make it more lucrative than David Bowie's artistic and financial direction of the 1980s and beyond?

[b]Space Oddity > Man Who Sold The World > Hunky Dory > Ziggy Stardust > Aladdin Sane > Pin Ups > Diamond Dogs > David Live > Young Americans > Station To Stati Wes Montgomery and George Benson come to mind. But what about in the world of rock/pop?
[/b]
I heard a car commercial using "Space Oddity" the other day and almost threw up.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
19 May 10

Originally posted by FMF
I thoroughly enjoyed a spin of Outside earlier today. That is a fine Bowie album in my book, the er... spoken word bits aside.
You know, I rather like Black Tie, White Noise. It's not -- Ziggy Stardust great; but ...

I like The Buddha of Suburbia soundtrack too, although the Kizilcay treatment sounds a bit odd -- very period production -- bit like 'Cry for Love' (Iggy Pop) -- same deliberately? cheap production that still succeeds -- to my ears -- in sounding glorious.

Moves
20 May 10

Originally posted by Suzianne
I heard a car commercial using "Space Oddity" the other day and almost threw up.
Was it Space Oddity? I heard a car commercial that uses Peter Schilling's Major Tom but it's a new version by Shiny Toy Guns.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
21 May 10

Originally posted by Badwater
Was it Space Oddity? I heard a car commercial that uses Peter Schilling's Major Tom but it's a new version by Shiny Toy Guns.
It was Space Oddity, just the first verse, apparently, but that was enough. I dunno who actually sang it. Don't care either, the mute button is coming into play if I see it again. Yet another rock sell-out is what I don't like about it.

Ground control to Major Tom
Ground control to Major Tom
Take your protein pills and put your helmet on
(Ten) Ground control (Nine) to Major Tom (Eight)
(Seven, six) Commencing countdown (Five), engines on (Four)
(Three, two) Check ignition (One) and may god's (Blastoff) love be with you

This is ground control to Major Tom, you've really made the grade
And the papers want to know whose shirts you wear
Now it's time to leave the capsule if you dare

This is Major Tom to ground control, I'm stepping through the door
And I'm floating in a most peculiar way
And the stars look very different today
Here am I floatin' 'round my tin can far above the world
Planet Earth is blue and there's nothing I can do

Though I'm past one hundred thousand miles, I'm feeling very still
And I think my spaceship knows which way to go
Tell my wife I love her very much, she knows
Ground control to Major Tom, your circuit's dead, there's something wrong
Can you hear me, Major Tom?
Can you...
Here am I sitting in my tin can far above the Moon
Planet Earth is blue and there's nothing I can do

d

Moves
21 May 10

Originally posted by Suzianne
Can't be worse than Zeppelin letting Cadillac use Black Dog to sell SUVs...

d

Moves
21 May 10
1 edit

I don't mind up-and-coming artists or artists who are not well established lending their music to ads and whatnot, but established acts like Bowie, Zep, the Clash? That ruffles my feathers a bit. The worst is the current ads with U2 playing some CGI concert and the line splashes across the screen in the end "BLACKBERRY LOVES U2".

Now that's nauseating.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
21 May 10

Originally posted by darvlay
Can't be worse than Zeppelin letting Cadillac use Black Dog to sell SUVs...
I remember that. That was pretty bad, too.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
21 May 10

Originally posted by darvlay
I don't mind up-and-coming artists or artists who are not well established lending their music to ads and whatnot, but established acts like Bowie, Zep, the Clash? That ruffles my feathers a bit. The worst is the current ads with U2 playing some CGI concert and the line splashes across the screen in the end "BLACKBERRY LOVES U2".

Now that's nauseating.
"Anything for a buck" seems to be the American way.