1. Illinois
    Moves
    15 Sep '08 09:051 edit
    "Yes, you read the headline correctly, and no, I can't believe it either, but apparently scientists have invented a brain machine that dramatically enhances musical performance, thus paving the way for a new race of highly skilled super-musicians. According to the BBC, "the system - called neurofeedback - trains musicians to clear their minds and produce more creative brain waves.

"The philosophical implications may be another source for apprehension, but those who dismiss the discovery are probably the same people who want to cling to the notion of creative talent as being reserved for a chosen few, something you have to be anointed with at birth. But such views are as ignorant as they are selfish - musical talent is something that can be developed, and in a few cases, revealed dramatically by a special teacher. Perhaps this technology will be able to open up creative potential in those who were discouraged from pursuing music but have always secretly wished to be able to strum a chord. Which has to be a good thing."

http://www.dominionpaper.ca/arts/2003/09/12/new_brain_.html

Eat your heart out, Mozart.

😉
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Sep '08 09:15
    Originally posted by epiphinehas
    "Yes, you read the headline correctly, and no, I can't believe it either, but apparently scientists have invented a brain machine that dramatically enhances musical performance, thus paving the way for a new race of highly skilled super-musicians. According to the BBC, "the system - called neurofeedback - trains musicians to clear their minds and produce ...[text shortened]... onpaper.ca/arts/2003/09/12/new_brain_.html

Eat your heart out, Mozart.

😉
    I don't think Mo would be in any big danger of being out created, brain enhanced or no. I had to dig into the article a bit to find the meat: Enhanced Theta waves is what does it, those 5-8 Hz signals that show dreamlike state. Which makes sense. A long time ago, I built a brainwave monitor with the same goal. It helped my music back then but I didn't tie the two together. Wonder how long that lasts. I bet I could use a refresher course. The thing to learn is how to recognize when your brain is doing Theta waves and strive for that when you play or compose music. I would think it would help composition more than performance.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree