1. Joined
    01 Mar '08
    Moves
    16 Jun '08 14:30
    I'm reading "Squares of the City" by John Brunner now and I'm wondering if anyone knows the game that is played out in the book?

The introduction describes it as a game 70 years ago between Steinitz and Tchigorin, but I still have no luck finding it.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    16 Jun '08 20:361 edit
    Originally posted by mortisdead
    I'm reading "Squares of the City" by John Brunner now and I'm wondering if anyone knows the game that is played out in the book?

The introduction describes it as a game 70 years ago between Steinitz and Tchigorin, but I still have no luck finding it.
    That 70 year old game would be a problem since the old boy died 108 years ago.
    Maybe it was 70 years before the Brunner book was written. I read that story a long time ago, pretty much forgot it by now.
  3. Standard memberneonpeon41
    The Conductor
    With the band
    Moves
    17 Jun '08 01:20

According to http://www.4literature.net/story/2003/5/28/0050/49389 this is the 1892 world title game. Sounds like an interesting book.

np
  4. Joined
    01 Mar '08
    Moves
    17 Jun '08 22:03
    My problem is that I only have an electronic copy of the book so I didn't know when the introduction was written.

Now that I have the year it narrows things down a little, thanks!
  5. Joined
    15 Jul '06
    Moves
    18 Jun '08 00:00

In the same vein, I've got a paperback copy of short stories called "Pawn to Infinity" edited by Fred Saberhagen which is supposed to be sci fi stories concerning chess. Truth is, most of them are fantasy, only some of them are actually about chess (rather than a similar game) and most of them aren't all that hot, but one story "Midnight by the Morphy Watch" by Fritz Leiber might appeal to the chess player. It's more of a Twilight Zone kind of thing.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree