Computer/video games as art

Computer/video games as art

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

N

Moves
10 Jun 14

Did anyone play Another World on the Amiga? That was one of the landmark games in terms of storytelling and atmosphere. It's been ported to PC, I recently bought it on Steam and played it through. Still a very enjoyable experience (although younger players might disagree).

N

Moves
12 Jun 14

Originally posted by Great King Rat
I recently discovered www.twitch.tv (about three years too late...).

If you're interested in what kind of game Dark Souls 2 is, I would invite you to watch one of the many live streams. It's really great fun to see fellow players painstakingly make their way through the game. And watching pvp matches is also very nice. Most of those people are much, much better players than I am.
Twitch.tv takes addictive nerdiness to new extremes. I really am surprised and quite perturbed that this market exists and is growing rapidly. I never expected to feel old in my twenties, but I did, when the richer people around me, all well educated, chose a lifetime of infantilism over showing responsibility. Now I'm in my late 30s and feel concern and despair what is happening to humanity. It all makes me a bit bitter, to be honest.

N

Moves
22 Jun 14

Well, maybe that post was a little over the top. I do despair frequently at what seems like wasted potential, mentally and physically, of gamers and the sometimes callous indifference which some can display towards established cultural institutions and older art forms--but there's no denying there's a certain fascination to playing games and watching people play them. I'm not bitten by the bug to the extent that I would watch someone play for more than a few minutes, but I do know from experience how absorbing and enjoyable the odd game-playing session can be. In fact, I'm going to load up Grand Theft Auto III right now and continue my completist quest for half an hour or so...

Infidel

Moves
23 Jun 14

Yeah, I was a bit confused by your post concerning twitch. The way you talked about it did not sound unlike what someone else might say about grown-ups who "still play computergames". "Waste of time, waste of money, waste of potential."

I am - like you - quite amazed by this market. Like I said, I only recently discovered it, and I find it amazing that there are people that actually can make a living out of streaming. In fact, it amazes me that there are people who are willing to give money to someone else just so they can watch that person play a computergame. It's a bit surreal. Are these "professional" streamers really going to keep streaming until they retire? I doubt it. I wouldn't want to do it. Then again, I live quite a "safe" life, and I need to know that I get payed on a monthly basis. I can appreciate that not everyone needs that kind of "security". And some of them really do put on a good show.

But, yeah, for me the main thing that I like about it is seeing others struggling in the same way that I did while playing the game.

As with so many things - including playing computergames - it shouldn't take over ones life at the cost of other, more important things.

N

Moves
23 Jun 14

Originally posted by Great King Rat
Yeah, I was a bit confused by your post concerning twitch. The way you talked about it did not sound unlike what someone else might say about grown-ups who "still play computergames". "Waste of time, waste of money, waste of potential."

I am - like you - quite amazed by this market. Like I said, I only recently discovered it, and I find it amazing ...[text shortened]... ng computergames - it shouldn't take over ones life at the cost of other, more important things.
I agree with "surreal". It's one of many things related to online life that I find pretty mind-blowing. Usually I'm "surprised in a good way" on a personal level (not selfish as such, but rather in a 'pure' intellectual and fun sense), but when I consider things in the light of global, national and generational issues I get uncomfortable. Seeing the pretty shocking physical shape of the average Twitch TV game-streamer makes me worry about strains on health services. People may say that we can afford to pay for medical care, but that is shorter-term than we think, and not only that but we're draining doctors and nursing talent away from third world/developing countries, where the ratio of doctors to patients is vanishingly small.

Of course, there is the likelihood that such people will begin to take more care of their appearance and health after seeing each other on the webcams, which could be a very positive thing. And arguably playing computer games is healthier—if not socially—than regular and frequent sessions at the pub, bar or club.