Culture Forum

Culture Forum

1. SubscriberWOLFE63
    Tra il dire e il far
    C'e di mezzo il mar!
    Moves
    07 Jul '19 16:12
    Looks like it may be pretty good.

I'll continue to hope for a film about samurai, Tomoe Gozen.
    Ever since reading the series of books about her by Jessica Amanda Salmonson during the 1980s; I've found female warriors intriguing.
  2. Zugzwang
    Moves
    10 Jul '19 23:14
    @wolfe63 said

Ever since reading the series of books about her by Jessica Amanda Salmonson during the 1980s; I've found female warriors intriguing.
    https://screenrant.com/mulan-movie-2020-remake-better-no-songs/

"Disney's Mulan Remake Won't Be A Musical (And That's A Good Thing)"

"The 1998 version of Mulan as created by Disney is an odd beast. Like most films
    of the ‘90s Disney renaissance, it’s based on pre-existing material, but it wasn’t a
    story that would have been all that well-known to American and white audiences.
    The Ballad of Hua Mulan was first transcribed in a collection of Chinese ballads in
    the 6th century and, since then, it has endured as a cultural mainstay, with many
    film and television adaptations made over the decades. It made sense for Disney
    to want to have their own version of the story at a time when they were keen to
    get a foothold back in the burgeoning Chinese entertainment market after briefly
    being banned from the country. The final result is a popular film but one that is
    still very American and an awkward fit because of that.

As with all Disney-fied adaptations of classic stories and world cultures, the basic
    structure and themes of the Hua Mulan ballad were remolded to fit the company’s
    brand, and softened in a way that made the story more “universal”, which at the
    time mostly meant making it palatable for the presumed majority=white American
    audiences (see the depiction of Arab and Middle Eastern culture as a homogeneous
    mish-mash of various places and ideas in Aladdin, or how Belle’s France in Beauty
    and the Beast is a checklist of French stereotypes). For Mulan, that meant a cast of
    voice actors with American accents, the addition of a sassy talking animal sidekick
    (another of Disney’s favored tropes), and changes to the story that made it more
    like a Disney fairy-tale, such as the inclusion of an “I want something more” style
    song to give the protagonist new motivations. Sometimes it works, and other times
    it is a noticeably uncomfortable fit for this story. It’s also a questionable decision from a
    culturally appropriative standpoint, and one that Disney may be keen to avoid in the future."
  3. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    HELLO MY NAME IS
    tinyurl.com/znfjyjm
    Moves
    11 Jul '19 01:15
    @wolfe63 said

I'm hoping they get a freckled redheaded Irish girl to play her