Early Beatles in Stereo

Early Beatles in Stereo

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

z

Moves
15 Feb 09

Is it possible to get stereo versions of Please Please Me and With The Beatles on CD?

Moves
17 Feb 09

The Capitol releases, as opposed to Parlophone, were in 'stereo'. They were quasi-stereo in that the original recordings were done on a 4-track with the intention of being released mono (Parlophone releases) but Capitol released stereo mixed versions of those 4 track recordings. That's why you hear drums panned on one side, vocals on one side, guitar, etc - they just added panning to the tracks.

Those recordings were intended to be mono and sound best as mono.

z

Moves
18 Feb 09

Originally posted by Badwater
The Capitol releases, as opposed to Parlophone, were in 'stereo'. They were quasi-stereo in that the original recordings were done on a 4-track with the intention of being released mono (Parlophone releases) but Capitol released stereo mixed versions of those 4 track recordings. That's why you hear drums panned on one side, vocals on one side, guitar, etc - ...[text shortened]... d panning to the tracks.

Those recordings were intended to be mono and sound best as mono.
Yes, I think you are right! Rain on headphones sounds terrible!

g

Pepperland

Moves
22 Feb 09

Originally posted by znsho
Is it possible to get stereo versions of Please Please Me and With The Beatles on CD?
Why early beatles?

I always thought their music from 1967-1970 was much better than their early stuff.

F

Moves
23 Feb 09

Originally posted by generalissimo
Why early beatles?

I always thought their music from 1967-1970 was much better than their early stuff.
And what would be the difficulty in getting Beatles material from 1967-1970 in stereo, do you think?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
26 Feb 09

Originally posted by FMF
And what would be the difficulty in getting Beatles material from 1967-1970 in stereo, do you think?
That is not their early years, they started out circa 1962 or earlier. That is the time period I think they are talking about, back when they were totally poor and working from a 4 track tape deck, which was probably only a two track really but maybe they mixed down the demo's to mono to put on a demo tape or something and that was what was used in the actual production because it sounded better than the later studio cuts. Just my guess anyway. But 1967 was in their famous period, they had the best gear at that point.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
26 Feb 09

Originally posted by znsho
Yes, I think you are right! Rain on headphones sounds terrible!
You mean because the panning was extreme and there was no sound coming from the center? Sounds like a poor post engineering job then. I do track work in my own home studio and even I do better than that๐Ÿ™‚

Moves
28 Feb 09

Originally posted by sonhouse
That is not their early years, they started out circa 1962 or earlier. That is the time period I think they are talking about, back when they were totally poor and working from a 4 track tape deck, which was probably only a two track really but maybe they mixed down the demo's to mono to put on a demo tape or something and that was what was used in the actu ...[text shortened]... ust my guess anyway. But 1967 was in their famous period, they had the best gear at that point.
It was a 4-track. See Anthology. ๐Ÿ˜‰

F

Moves
01 Mar 09

Originally posted by sonhouse
That is not their early years, they started out circa 1962 or earlier. That is the time period I think they are talking about, back when they were totally poor and working from a 4 track tape deck, which was probably only a two track really but maybe they mixed down the demo's to mono to put on a demo tape or something and that was what was used in the actu ...[text shortened]... ust my guess anyway. But 1967 was in their famous period, they had the best gear at that point.
I was commenting on generalissimo's odd post. He asked why someone would be looking for stereo recordings from the early period when stereo recordings were readily available from the late period. Generalissimo seemed to not understand that znsho was looking for stereo recordings from the early period and that the fact that stereo recordings were par for the course in the late period has no bearing on what was avaialble from the early period.