Evolvement of marriage

Evolvement of marriage

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

p

tinyurl.com/ywohm

Moves
20 Mar 08

Many cultures have been fond of arranged marriages rather than mutual love and respect.

d

Moves
21 Mar 08

Which of these cultures that embraced polygamy are around today and thriving? Do you think this is a better model than the monogomous heterosexual model that prevails in western culture today?

d

Moves
21 Mar 08

Again, are the cultures that embrace the arranged marriage model around today and thriving? Do you consider this a superior model to the contemporary western culture model?

p

tinyurl.com/ywohm

Moves
21 Mar 08

Originally posted by dinosaurus
Again, are the cultures that embrace the arranged marriage model around today and thriving? Do you consider this a superior model to the contemporary western culture model?
They're thriving in their opinion. I consider a superior model to be one in which consenting adults who aren't also married to someone else may choose to marry each other.

eo

the highway to hell

Moves
21 Mar 08

EVOLVEMENT????????????????????????????????????

p

tinyurl.com/ywohm

Moves
21 Mar 08

Originally posted by eamon o
EVOLVEMENT????????????????????????????????????
That's what I thought, too, but before I said anything I went to dictionary.com -- and sure enough, it's a word!

d

Moves
22 Mar 08

Within my modest knowledge of history, I find that cultures that permit polygamy arise from warlike nations where there is a shortage of men. In modern society, I don't see this occuring, but some still want to cling to polygamy. Also with regard to my modest knowledge of curent cultures, it appears polygamy is largely practiced where women are not considered equal to men. As a matter of fact I can not think of a single culture that permits a woman to married to several men. But these same cultures permit men to choose if they would like more than one wife. On the whole, I don't see a compelling reason to allow polygamy. Can someone convince me otherwise?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
22 Mar 08

Originally posted by dinosaurus
I don't see a compelling reason to allow polygamy. Can someone convince me otherwise?
Take that to the debates.