Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Culture Forum

Culture Forum

1. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    28 Jun '14 21:27
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO08T4ukuac
  2. Standard member hakima
    Illumination
    29 Jun '14 15:28
    This looks interesting. Have you tried it?

I am a beginning beginner on the guitar and typically whine about my fingers hurting. This might solve the problem.

Then again, I should stop whining and just keep trying until I get proper callouses.
  3. 30 Jun '14 14:34
    Originally posted by hakima
    This looks interesting. Have you tried it?

I am a beginning beginner on the guitar and typically whine about my fingers hurting. This might solve the problem.

Then again, I should stop whining and just keep trying until I get proper callouses.
    Nylon strings hurt less than steel, but then again, perhaps you're already using nylon. Just
    thought I'd throw it out there.
  4. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    30 Jun '14 23:51
    Originally posted by C Hess
    Nylon strings hurt less than steel, but then again, perhaps you're already using nylon. Just
    thought I'd throw it out there.
    Sorry, his name is not Gibson but Dobson. The thing about the dental floss is it gives a much softer sound so it needs more amplification if you want to be heard. He used that on a classic guitar which normally would have nylon strings.

If your fingers hurt, try a nylon string guitar if you are using a steel string.

Also make sure the strings are low to the fret, not to the point of buzzing but a clear sound but as close as possible, that way your fingers get bruised much less.

I have a 70 year old Martin 0-18 that sounds wonderful but the strings are a bit higher than they should be, it needs some help but can't afford the bucks to take it to Meadowood music where they have a great luthier here in Pennsylvania. Not cheap! I also have a 1973 Martin D-35 also in bad shape! My present honey is a Washburn R-305 reproduction of an 1890 parlor guitar, they dusted off the prints and re-issued it about ten years ago and it sounds great! I also have a 1908 Gibson A2 model mandolin, an incredible sounding mandolin! We accidentally left another early 1900's Gibson mandolin at Kibbutz Tsora when we visited there a few years ago. Left the folk club there at midnight and we had a car full of instruments and somehow it got left on the tarmac, total black case on a total black asphalt driveway. Never heard from that one again. Sigh. It was a beauty.