slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    28 Jun '14 21:27
  2. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    29 Jun '14 15:28
    This looks interesting. Have you tried it?

I am a beginning beginner on the guitar and typically whine about my fingers hurting. This might solve the problem.

Then again, I should stop whining and just keep trying until I get proper callouses. 😉
  3. Joined
    31 Aug '06
    Moves
    30 Jun '14 14:34
    Originally posted by hakima
    This looks interesting. Have you tried it?

I am a beginning beginner on the guitar and typically whine about my fingers hurting. This might solve the problem.

Then again, I should stop whining and just keep trying until I get proper callouses. 😉
    Nylon strings hurt less than steel, but then again, perhaps you're already using nylon. Just
    thought I'd throw it out there. 😕
  4. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    30 Jun '14 23:51
    Originally posted by C Hess
    Nylon strings hurt less than steel, but then again, perhaps you're already using nylon. Just
    thought I'd throw it out there. 😕
    Sorry, his name is not Gibson but Dobson. The thing about the dental floss is it gives a much softer sound so it needs more amplification if you want to be heard. He used that on a classic guitar which normally would have nylon strings.

If your fingers hurt, try a nylon string guitar if you are using a steel string.

Also make sure the strings are low to the fret, not to the point of buzzing but a clear sound but as close as possible, that way your fingers get bruised much less.

I have a 70 year old Martin 0-18 that sounds wonderful but the strings are a bit higher than they should be, it needs some help but can't afford the bucks to take it to Meadowood music where they have a great luthier here in Pennsylvania. Not cheap! I also have a 1973 Martin D-35 also in bad shape! My present honey is a Washburn R-305 reproduction of an 1890 parlor guitar, they dusted off the prints and re-issued it about ten years ago and it sounds great! I also have a 1908 Gibson A2 model mandolin, an incredible sounding mandolin! We accidentally left another early 1900's Gibson mandolin at Kibbutz Tsora when we visited there a few years ago. Left the folk club there at midnight and we had a car full of instruments and somehow it got left on the tarmac, total black case on a total black asphalt driveway. Never heard from that one again. Sigh. It was a beauty.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree