1. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    22 Apr '10 12:21
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Not everything that can be smushed together makes a delicious sandwich. Just ask the folks from my recent Pere Ubu/N*Sync/Bob Marley hybrid project.
    But its a great way of breaking free from the old formulas and coming with something that's totally new.

If a given sandwich tastes lousy, throw it out and make another one. Keep doing it until something works.

And N*Sync and Bob Marley might have had better results working with each other if both parties were alive at the SAME time.
  2. Germany
    Moves
    22 Apr '10 12:43
    "I'll tell you what classical music is, for those of you who don't know. Classical music is this music that was written by a bunch of dead people a long time ago. And it's formula music, the same as top forty music is formula music. In order to have a piece be classical, it has to conform to academic standards that were the current norms of that day and age ... I think that people are entitled to be amused, and entertained. If they see deviations from this classical norm, it's probably good for their mental health. " - Frank Zappa
  3. Germany
    Moves
    22 Apr '10 12:45
    Sorry. Misread your original post. But I am still curious as to why you feel Parliament was more of an influence over any other funk or soul band in hip-hop/rap, if you'd like to share.
    They're one of the most sampled bands in hip hop. Also, G-Funk.
  4. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    22 Apr '10 13:121 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    They're one of the most sampled bands in hip hop. Also, G-Funk.
    So Dr. Dre samples you a bunch for couple records and all of a sudden you're the biggest instrumental influence in hip-hop. A stretch in my mind, but that's neither here nor there in this conversation.

Personally I think jazz has had a bigger influence, speaking from an "instrumental" point of view, on hip hop then funk. Not a lot of G-Funk groups out there with live bands backing them from what I see... So I'm not sure exactly how "influenced" they were to pick up instruments. Not to undervalue the influence of funk in general...
  5. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    22 Apr '10 21:112 edits
    So Dr. Dre samples you a bunch for couple records and all of a sudden you're the biggest instrumental influence in hip-hop. A stretch in my mind, but that's neither here nor there in this conversation.

Personally I think jazz has had a bigger influence, speaking from an "instrumental" point of view, on hip hop then funk. Not a lot of G-Funk groups out they were to pick up instruments. Not to undervalue the influence of funk in general...
    I agree. While sampling has its place, it seems to have become a cheap, lazy shortcut. Stop recycling grooves older than your parents - pick up some instruments and lay down some new grooves.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree