Favorite national anthems

Favorite national anthems

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s

Moves
02 Feb 13

1. United States Star Spangled Banner for sentimental reasons alone! Tied for first is Mexicanos al Grito de Guerra:
2. Italy's current one Il Canto degli Italiani, but I like the unofficial anthem better, "Va Pensiero" from Verdi's Nabucco. At the time Nabucco was written there was a groundswell of nationalism and a push for Italain unification and elimination of the city state system and the papal States. Verdi's name became an acronym: "Vittorio Emmanuele Re Di Italia" and a cry for unification. Va Pensiero or "Canto di schiavi ebrei" from Nabucco is gorgeous:
3. Germany's current anthem was lifted off a Franz Joseph Haydn quartet's second movement of his Emperor Quartet:
4. "Chant de guerre pour l'Armée du Rhin" (English: "War Song for the Army of the Rhine"😉 or La Marseillaise is considered by many the best. I place it fourth simply because it is oddly named, renamed, misplaced and Marseilles is a hell hole! Also, Claude Joseph Rouget de Lisle is no Verdi or Haydn. My favorite version is "La Marseillaise" arranged for soprano, chorus and orchestra by Hector Berlioz. I also love, Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky's quote of "La Marseillaise" to represent the invading French army in his 1812 Overture. He also quoted the Russian national anthem he was familiar with, to represent the Russian army. However, neither of these anthems was actually in use in 1812. Schumann's quote in his "Two Grenadiers lied" on a poem of Heinrich Heine is stunning: !
5. Soft spot for "God Save the Queen" which we all learned in school as "My Country 'Tis of Thee", of unknown composer and oldest of the anthems since it dates from around 1619. However, Rule Britannia makes me think of England or the UK more than their current anthem: .

Z

Moves
02 Feb 13

Was the thread at the TOP OF THE BLOODY PAGE not good enough for you that you had to start your own or are you just that oblivious?

s

Moves
02 Feb 13

Originally posted by Zamboner
Was the thread at the [b]TOP OF THE BLOODY PAGE not good enough for you that you had to start your own or are you just that oblivious?[/b]
I swear it was not on there when I posted mine and the topic was suggested to me by the originator of the first post. I would never attempt such a sleight of hand. I will remove mine and append it to Grampy Bobby's!

s

Moves
02 Feb 13
1 edit

Originally posted by Zamboner
Was the thread at the [b]TOP OF THE BLOODY PAGE not good enough for you that you had to start your own or are you just that oblivious?[/b]

Australia

Moves
03 Feb 13

Obviously as a result of the discussion both parties had the same idea. It happens. Hopefully nobody will post again in this thread, they'll go to Thread 151131 instead.

=========================THREAD CLOSED============================

Moves
05 Feb 13

Originally posted by scacchipazzo
1. United States Star Spangled Banner for sentimental reasons alone! Tied for first is Mexicanos al Grito de Guerra: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg9Z4ULVBeA
2. Italy's current one Il Canto degli Italiani, but I like the unofficial anthem better, "Va Pensiero" from Verdi's Nabucco. At the time Nabucco was written there was a groundswell of nationalis ...[text shortened]... n their current anthem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sgd9nYqVz2s.
Well my response fits better here since the other one is about the USA natl anthem and this one is still open for fun.

s

Moves
05 Feb 13

Originally posted by JS357
Well my response fits better here since the other one is about the USA natl anthem and this one is still open for fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgY5jL-WdmY
I thought thee thread was closed, but since it goes on I will too! Very entertaining indeed! Lyrics are right on! It'd be way better with more of the Gator fight song interspersed! BTW, I love the Gators and A&M, but hate every other SEC team, but none more than Bama!