Fleet Foxes

SubscriberFMF
Culture 23 Apr '11 09:01
  1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Apr '11 09:01
    Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues (2011), highly recommended. Seems to get labelled as 'indie folk'. I reckon 'progressive folk' and 'alt.country' and 'americana' would fit too. Gentle, eclectic, intimate, sometimes hypnotic stuff. I'd mention the following bands in the same breath - Akron/Family, Califone, Brian Campeau, Circulus, The Last Dinosaur, The Witch And The Robot etc.
  2. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    02 May '11 20:51
    Originally posted by FMF
    Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues (2011), highly recommended. Seems to get labelled as 'indie folk'. I reckon 'progressive folk' and 'alt.country' and 'americana' would fit too. Gentle, eclectic, intimate, sometimes hypnotic stuff. I'd mention the following bands in the same breath - Akron/Family, Califone, Brian Campeau, Circulus, The Last Dinosaur, The Witch And The Robot etc.
    like ths stuff before this one
  3. Standard memberDrKF
    incipit parodia
    Moves
    04 May '11 17:51
    Originally posted by FMF
    I had completely forgotten. I will report back with my thoughts.

Have you heard the new Low album yet?
  4. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    05 May '11 18:33
    Helplessness is great, but I don't think it's as good as the first one. Mind I've only played it a few times. The new Low Anthem one is also not as good as their previous -Charlie Darwin - doesn't have enough of their livelier side. How about the Rural Alberta Advantage? 'Departing' is a belter.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    06 May '11 00:49
    Originally posted by DrKF
    Have you heard the new Low album yet?
    It has grown on me. The track list draws you in, with a kind of moderately cheery major key start with Try To Sleep and You See Everything. It then starts to wander into slightly more haunting and soaring areas. Done > Especially Me > $20 > Majesty/Magic is all trademark Low with that odd fusion of muted swagger and swelling fragility swept along with those poignant harmonies. Nightingale is beautiful. I'd probably have ended the album with Nothing But Heart. I'd have fleshed out the album a tad, maybe, by extending the guitar solo on Witches - Mark Kozelek/Neil Young style. All in all enjoyable although there are maybe 4 or 5 other Low albums I prefer.
  6. Standard memberDrKF
    incipit parodia
    Moves
    06 May '11 18:37
    Originally posted by FMF
    It has grown on me. The track list draws you in, with a kind of moderately cheery major key start with Try To Sleep and You See Everything. It then starts to wander into slightly more haunting and soaring areas. Done > Especially Me > $20 > Majesty/Magic is all trademark Low with that odd fusion of muted swagger and swelling fragility swept along with those poig ...[text shortened]... l Young style. All in all enjoyable although there are maybe 4 or 5 other Low albums I prefer.
    Indeed. It's certainly their most commercial/radio-friendly, and seems to have touches from throughout their career - but with a bit more confidence, perhaps? Mimi Parker's voice will always work for me - tracks like Especially Me (which would have been amazing even without the fantastic swell at the end). Ultimately not as good as some earlier stuff, which it kind of summarises, but very promising for their continuing and growing.

I'll be seeing them live in ten days or so! Recently saw Mogwai (again) and Iron and Wine; both were amazing, but I still have high hopes for Low...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree