George Bush conducts marines band

George Bush conducts marines band

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s

At the Revolution

Moves
29 Apr 08

He would make Otto Klemperer turn in his grave!! 😀

n
The Conductor

With the band

Moves
29 Apr 08

Originally posted by scherzo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju46sVoLrKE

He would make Otto Klemperer turn in his grave!! 😀
Thanks for sharing this! How funny! The audience was keeping better time than W.

It reminds me of community bands and orchestras I play in where one of the fund-raisers is the "Golden Baton". A magic baton is raffled off to the highest bidder and the benefactor gets to conduct at a pops concert. It's always a march, because any shmo can wave their arms in front of a group and we've played enough marches they're always going to sound good.

np

e
leperchaun messiah

thru a glass onion

Moves
29 Apr 08

we are a long way from shock and awe.

s

At the Revolution

Moves
30 Apr 08

Originally posted by eldragonfly
we are a long way from shock and awe.
You can say that again. He was off beat half the time. Did you see him in the "trio" section? He looked like Beethoven was rumored to look whenever he conducted a quieter section of one of the latter's pieces.

s

At the Revolution

Moves
02 May 08

I wonder how it'll look to see Obama, Clinton, or McCain conduct an orchestra. Clinton will probably be shrieking half the time at bad sections, and McCain would be extremely stiff and formal. Obama would be calm, cool, collected, and relaxed. I think that voters should take into account how well the candidates can conduct a band.

Erro Ergo Sum

In the Green Room

Moves
03 May 08

I've seen better conductors on a passenger train!🙂

He's like the guy who taps his foot to music but his tapping is nowhere the beat. It's incredibly annoying.

It was very foolish of him to conduct, because a conductor is a leader and he certainly did not look like a leader at all. Bush is supposed to be a leader and this silly stunt made him look like a fool, perhaps like the fool he is.

BWA Soldier

Tha Brotha Hood

Moves
03 May 08
1 edit

Obama would be calm, cool, collected, and relaxed.
Yeah, brothaz got rhythm. Just one more reason why he gets the BWA endorsement.

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
03 May 08

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
Yo, I can tell you Obama is gonna just let each of members of the Marine band trade in a their clarinet for a gun and go hunt down Osama. Then he's gonna replace the band with Dr. Dre laying down some tracks. You know what I'm sayin?

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
03 May 08

Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
Yo the brotha so smooth that I believe this here lesbian would give it up for him. What do you think?

n
The Conductor

With the band

Moves
03 May 08

Originally posted by kirksey957
Yo, I can tell you Obama is gonna just let each of members of the Marine band trade in a their clarinet for a gun and go hunt down Osama. Then he's gonna replace the band with Dr. Dre laying down some tracks. You know what I'm sayin?
A problem with this is that "The President's Own" is the only military band that does not go to basic training. They report directly to duty. Every other military band member has to go through a nine-week basic training with every other enlisted soldier followed by another nine weeks of specialized training before they report to their band.

I seriously considered a military band position at one time.

np

Erro Ergo Sum

In the Green Room

Moves
03 May 08

"The conductor’s existence is, essentially, superfluous, and you have to attain a high degree of musical stupidity in order to find watching the beat, or the conductor's inane face for that matter, easier for the purpose of knowing when and how to play than simply listening to the music."
–Hans Keller, 1919-1985

"There are only six conductors in the world. All the rest are bums."
–Isaac Stern, 1920-2001

"Even though they’re not blind, they still insist upon using a white stick."
–Nigel Kennedy

"There is no profession (conducting) which an impostor could enter more easily."
–Carl Flesch, 1873-1944

"There is no more obvious expression of power than the performance of a conductor. Every detail of his public behaviour throws light on the nature and abuse of power. Someone who knew nothing about power could discover all its attributes, one after another, by careful observation of a conductor. Hitler, Stalin, and Mussolini, learned about dictatorship in this way."
–Elias Canetti

"Every member of an orchestra knows that a conductor may be less well equipped for his work than the least of his players, but whereas the musicians quickly discover this, the society women and boards of directors, who directly or indirectly hire him, may never know."
–Igor Stravinsky, 1882-1971

s

At the Revolution

Moves
03 May 08

Originally posted by AttilaTheHorn
"The conductor’s existence is, essentially, superfluous, and you have to attain a high degree of musical stupidity in order to find watching the beat, or the conductor's inane face for that matter, easier for the purpose of knowing when and how to play than simply listening to the music."
–Hans Keller, 1919-1985

"There are only six conductors in t ...[text shortened]... who directly or indirectly hire him, may never know."
–Igor Stravinsky, 1882-1971
Nothing by Ozawa or Klemperer in here!

Erro Ergo Sum

In the Green Room

Moves
03 May 08

Nothing by Ozawa or Klemperer in here!
Of course not: they're conductors!

n
The Conductor

With the band

Moves
04 May 08

Originally posted by AttilaTheHorn
–Hans Keller, 1919-1985
Case in point. Go to www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/shows/nyphil/index.html and scroll down under the video box to the last selection "Final Encores". And this is a group that normally has Lorin Maazel.

np