1. Illinois
    Moves
    18 Mar '09 22:47
    I'm going to see Gordon Lightfoot tonight in Champaign, IL.

I've currently met only one person of my generation (Gen X) who's even heard of him.

Is Gordy the penultimate Baby Boomer musician?

Anyone here have a favorite Lightfoot song?
  2. Joined
    10 Apr '06
    Moves
    18 Mar '09 22:57
    Originally posted by epiphinehas

I've currently met only one person of my generation (Gen X) who's even heard of him.

The Canadian Railroad Trilogy is my current favorite of his.

I'm jealous. I'd love to see him live sometime. 🙂
  3. Standard memberrbmorris
    Vampyroteuthis
    Infernalis
    Moves
    18 Mar '09 23:00

I can't name any of his songs off the top of my head, but I have heard of him. I know he makes that music stuff.
  4. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    18 Mar '09 23:401 edit

Just curious. If you're wondering if Lightfoot is the penultimate Baby Boomer musician, then who'd be the last? I assume you have someone in mind.
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    19 Mar '09 05:046 edits
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Just curious. If you're wondering if Lightfoot is the penultimate Baby Boomer musician, then who'd be the last? I assume you have someone in mind.
    Well there were a lot of them, Gordon being one, if we just stick to Canada, there was also Joni Mitchell (Her real name is Anderson), Neil Young, Stan Rogers comes to mind. One of my fav Lightfoot besides the Trilogy is Sundown you better take care when I find you've been coming down my back stairs. The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald is another and If you could read my mind, Me and Bobby McGee, That's what you get for loving me, Ballad of Yarmouth Castle, Carefree Highway, Early morning rain (you can't jump a jet plane like you can a freight train, so I'd best be on my way, in the Early morning rain), these are all major songs as far as I am concerned and that is just a small part of his output. Those who don't know of him should check out his songs, Canadian Railway Trilogy became the unofficial Canadian National anthem. Another one I remember is Minstrel of the Dawn. Great stuff.

But Joni, Neil and Stan also had great songs, you should check out all 4. Joni Mitchell (Real Good For Free, Big Yellow Taxi, You turn me on, I'm a radio, Case Of You, I was a free man in Paris(I felt Unfettered and alive, nobody calling me up for favors nobodies future to decide, I'd go back there tomorrow but for this work I've taken on, stokin' the star maker machinery behind the popular song), Circle Game, Court and Spark, Both sides now(I've looked at life from both sides now, from in and out and still somehow, it's life's illusions I recall, I really don't know life at all), Urge For Goin, Clouds, Chelea Morning, Krist, you would have to write a whole book on her great songs.

Neil Young :Cinnamon Girl, Heart of Gold, Down By the River (I shot my baby), Old man( take a look at my life, I'm a lot like you were), Sugar mountain (you can't be 20 on sugar mountain) BTW, Joni's Circle game was in response to that song.

Stan Rogers, Little Fish for Japan, 49 Years from now, Your Laker's back in town, Woodbridge Dog Disaster (very funny song), Take it from Day to day, The Mary Ellen Carter, (So the Mary Ellen Carter won't be lost to the knowledge of men), Northwest Passage,

Barrett's Privateers(about a small war between the US and Canada where the Canadians kicked butt), Bluenose, Field behind the Plow, Now I'm ready for Christmas and many more. He sang songs of the working man, the men of the sea and their women, RIP.

So if anyone hasn't listened to those songs, they are well worth checking out, they spell out the 60's and 70's pretty dam well in my opinion.
  6. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    19 Mar '09 12:29

Everyone in Canada knows who he is or at least should.
  7. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    19 Mar '09 14:10
    He's not bad. Pleasant. Important to Candian Puck-heads, perhaps.

I guess I'd drink a Moosehead to 'em.
  8. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    19 Mar '09 14:24
    Originally posted by badmoon
    I guess I'd drink a Moosehead to 'em.
    Ugh, might as well drink from your catheter. 😉
  9. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    19 Mar '09 17:39
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Well there were a lot of them, Gordon being one, if we just stick to Canada, there was also Joni Mitchell (Her real name is Anderson), Neil Young, Stan Rogers comes to mind. One of my fav Lightfoot besides the Trilogy is Sundown you better take care when I find you've been coming down my back stairs. The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald is another and If you ...[text shortened]... king out, they spell out the 60's and 70's pretty dam well in my opinion.
    Thanks but that's more than I ever wanted to know about Canadian pop stars 🙂 I'm sure someone else will get some use from it.

I only asked because I found his question curious. I'm still not sure what he was asking 🙁
  10. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    19 Mar '09 18:32
    Thanks but that's more than I ever wanted to know about Canadian pop stars 🙂 I'm sure someone else will get some use from it.

I only asked because I found his question curious. I'm still not sure what he was asking 🙁
    Gordon Lightfoot is a pop star now? Interesting.
  11. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    19 Mar '09 18:46
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Gordon Lightfoot is a pop star now? Interesting.
    He wasn't before 🙂

Just to give you some perspective, not everyone follows the popular musics.
  12. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    19 Mar '09 20:56

Sundown

GF is a great singer. Tonnes of good stuff.
  13. Illinois
    Moves
    20 Mar '09 02:51
    I assume you have someone in mind.

Nope, just rappin'.

The guy sitting next to me leaned over and said, "Hey fella, are you sure you're at the right concert?" My lack of gray hair put me in a very small minority.
  14. Illinois
    Moves
    20 Mar '09 03:101 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Well there were a lot of them, Gordon being one, if we just stick to Canada, there was also Joni Mitchell (Her real name is Anderson), Neil Young, Stan Rogers comes to mind. One of my fav Lightfoot besides the Trilogy is Sundown you better take care when I find you've been coming down my back stairs. The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald is another and If you king out, they spell out the 60's and 70's pretty dam well in my opinion.
    I love Joni Mitchell and Neil Young. Thanks for a great list of artists, sonhouse.

BTW, the Lightfoot show was held in an old theatre (the Virginia, where the Ebert Fest is held) and in the middle of the performance of "Sundown" a bat flew from off-stage right to off-stage left. The entire crowd gasped and murmured for a bit while the band was playing, but I'm pretty sure Gordy and Co. were oblivious to it. It made a strange kind of sense to me, though. I mean, Lightfoot doesn't seem like the kind of guy who belongs in a posh old theatre. Some of his best songs, in my opinion, are what he would call "back to nature" songs. The bat was almost like Lightfoot bringing a bit of nature with him onto the stage. That's how it seemed to me, anyways.

Awesome show.
  15. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    23 Mar '09 02:06
    I love Joni Mitchell and Neil Young. Thanks for a great list of artists, sonhouse.

BTW, the Lightfoot show was held in an old theatre (the Virginia, where the Ebert Fest is held) and in the middle of the performance of "Sundown" a bat flew from off-stage right to off-stage left. The entire crowd gasped and murmured for a bit while the band was playi ...[text shortened]... of nature with him onto the stage. That's how it seemed to me, anyways.

Awesome show.
    I remember one concert I saw of GF at the Hollywood bowl. He was using the shiny front of his guitar as a spotlight, very carefully shooting off the reflected light of the spotlights into people in the audience, who were oblivious to this action. I was off to the side and could see the way the reflected light from the guitar was scanning the audience. It was surreal! They were looking at him and his performance but he was doing the same unbeknownst to the audience. It was very clear what he was up to from my vantage point though!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree