Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Culture Forum

Culture Forum

  1. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    24 Jun '10 02:19 / 5 edits
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqMw_al5mCc&feature=related

    Played by the Brasil Guitar Duo, they are the best thing to come along in guitar duo's since Ida Presti and Alexander Lagoya!

    This is an amazing piece written by Gismonti, an amazing musician in his own right!

    I swear these guys (Joao Luiz and Douglas Lora) are channeling Presti and Lagoya:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOtPuAleTOY&feature=related

    This is the Fandango by Tedesco, they recorded the complete set of Tedesco's work on 2 CD's for Naxos records.

    While we are the subject of duo guitarists, listen to this wild pair, amazing,
    Rodrigo and Gabriela on Dave Letterman. She seems to have trained on the bodhran in ireland!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5VFWA2YKdo&NR=1&feature=fvwp

    This is called Tamacun.
  2. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    25 Jun '10 10:39
    I'm not a particular guitar lover, but that was pretty nice. Thanks, sonhouse.
  3. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    25 Jun '10 15:32
    Originally posted by Palynka
    I'm not a particular guitar lover, but that was pretty nice. Thanks, sonhouse.
    Which one did you like best? I liked them all but that Gabrielle, wow. Her Flamenco beats just made the show. I noticed Rodrigo didn't fingerpick, only used a flatpick which is a bit unusual on a classical guitar, so he is basically a lead player.
  4. Subscriber FreakyKBH
    Acquired Taste...
    25 Jun '10 19:23
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqMw_al5mCc&feature=related

    Played by the Brasil Guitar Duo, they are the best thing to come along in guitar duo's since Ida Presti and Alexander Lagoya!

    This is an amazing piece written by Gismonti, an amazing musician in his own right!

    I swear these guys (Joao Luiz and Douglas Lora) are channeling Presti and Lagoya ...[text shortened]... d!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5VFWA2YKdo&NR=1&feature=fvwp

    This is called Tamacun.
    Stunning.
  5. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    25 Jun '10 22:29
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Stunning.
    Which one? If you liked the Brasil guitar duo, you would love Ida Presti and Alexander Lagoya, a married duo guitar teem, both Segovia students, some say Ida was the best of the whole lot of his students, like NEVER making an error when rehearsing or in practice. They met on a professional tour, each one as a solo, then got together and got married and in the late 50's and early 60's made a series of incredible duo recordings on Decca records if I remember right. Later the great guitarists John Williams and Julian Bream did an almost duplicate album with the pieces right out of Ida and Alex's album, but they did not have the fire and dynamics of Presti and Lagoya. IMO, they were the best duo team of the 20th century.
  6. 25 Jun '10 22:30
    here's a nice one:

    with the three guitar greats:

    John Nclaughlin, Al DiMeola, and Paco de Lucia

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cadbYIzhqQ
  7. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    25 Jun '10 23:35
    Originally posted by r99pawn77
    here's a nice one:

    with the three guitar greats:

    John Nclaughlin, Al DiMeola, and Paco de Lucia

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cadbYIzhqQ
    A great concert clearly! And all the better for being acoustic! 2 flatpickers and a flamenco dude, great show! I don't think it possible for humans to play licks much faster than those dudes! Also all that much better for it to be only a trio, I kept expecting the darked out orchestra to come to life with some overdone orchestral crap
    They were clearly having fun playing!
  8. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    26 Jun '10 00:08
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Which one did you like best? I liked them all but that Gabrielle, wow. Her Flamenco beats just made the show. I noticed Rodrigo didn't fingerpick, only used a flatpick which is a bit unusual on a classical guitar, so he is basically a lead player.
    I was especially impressed with Rodrigo and Gabriela, but I also really liked the Joao Luiz and Douglas Lora one.
  9. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    27 Jun '10 08:02 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by Palynka
    I was especially impressed with Rodrigo and Gabriela, but I also really liked the Joao Luiz and Douglas Lora one.
    They are all virtuosi in their own right!

    It's too bad you didn't have a chance to hear Ida Presti and Alexandre Lagoya, they set the gold standard for guitar duo's. The Brazil Guitar duo is a direct descendant of Presti and Lagoya but not near as good dynamically IMO.

    Here is a link to a tribute and bit of history of them:

    http://www.wsws.org/articles/2001/feb2001/guit-f17.shtml

    When I first began to seriously listen to them, I tried to imagine who was who, one guitar in left earphone, the other in right. Try as I could, I never could figure out which one I was hearing, they were so much in tune to each other. I have never since heard such mastery of give and take and incredible dynamics in a guitar duo. I guess that happened because they were so deeply in love and married.
  10. Standard member Palynka
    Upward Spiral
    22 Aug '10 18:43
    I've been listening to the Rodrigo Y Gabriela album for a while now, good stuff. Hat tip to sonhouse.