1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    13 Jan '14 01:04
    YouTube

Pretty slick video for repairing nuts and stuff on guitar!
  2. Subscribergregsflat
    Guitarist
    @William Penn's gaze
    Moves
    21 Jan '14 21:10
    that's awesome. I liked watching someone else do it. I hate working on guitars. I have an old tenor banjo I picked up, the frets are filling me down the side of the neck, they all stick out, sloppy fret job, so I tried honing them.
    Electrical tape for protection of the wood and a few different files, taped off each fret and also ran it down the length so all I saw were the ends of the frets. They were ripping my fingers up, so know it feels better but don't look so good.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    22 Jan '14 13:02
    Originally posted by gregsflat
    that's awesome. I liked watching someone else do it. I hate working on guitars. I have an old tenor banjo I picked up, the frets are filling me down the side of the neck, they all stick out, sloppy fret job, so I tried honing them.
    Electrical tape for protection of the wood and a few different files, taped off each fret and also ran it down the length ...[text shortened]... of the frets. They were ripping my fingers up, so know it feels better but don't look so good.
    I also have a repair job to do on a Gibson mandolin over 100 years old. The nut has one or two slots that over the centuries🙂 got too deep just like the video. That is a great fix he showed. So I went out and got a bone nut, not even close to the right shape but all I want is some filings off it to make the slurry like the video. I will need to get that nice 10 thousands slot saw though. Don't know where though. Musicians Friend?
  4. Subscribermwmiller
    RHP Member No.16
    Moves
    22 Jan '14 13:28
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I also have a repair job to do on a Gibson mandolin over 100 years old. The nut has one or two slots that over the centuries🙂 got too deep just like the video. That is a great fix he showed. So I went out and got a bone nut, not even close to the right shape but all I want is some filings off it to make the slurry like the video. I will need to get that nice 10 thousands slot saw though. Don't know where though. Musicians Friend?
    Put this into your search engine "guitar repair tools" and that will lead you to all kinds of tools. Hopefully they will have what you need, or if you contact them they may be able to hook you up.
  5. Subscribergregsflat
    Guitarist
    @William Penn's gaze
    Moves
    23 Jan '14 07:08
    Try Stu/Macs. Thats where that guy was from. They have everything for building guitars. Stewart/ McDonalds, it's in Tennessee, they have a catalogue.
    Bet that saw is not cheap. Try a good hardware store first.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    24 Jan '14 15:183 edits
    Try Stu/Macs. Thats where that guy was from. They have everything for building guitars. Stewart/ McDonalds, it's in Tennessee, they have a catalogue.
    Bet that saw is not cheap. Try a good hardware store first.
    I never saw that in a hardware store. I live only a few miles from Nazareth where Martin is, I imagine someone there knows.

BTW, I got permission for a project there, to record some of my guitar pieces in the little museum.

On the back burner now but the acoustics was nice in that room with all the vintage guitars, probably 200,000 bucks worth of 19th century and 20th century guitars.

Been on that tour 3 times now.

Also heard they are hiring. Would love to work there but don't think I could match my 52K job right now. The good thing would be a commute about 140 miles a day less driving.

Thanks for the tip about Stewart/Mcdonalds. I'll definitely look them up.

Found them! They are sending me a catalog. Their nut saws, they call them 'Gauge saws' are there if you type in 3600 in their search box.

Surprising thing is they are only 9 bucks each! Or 40 bucks for the whole set, sizes from .035 or so down to 0.010 inches.

They also have nut files, which I have a set of, if I can find them.
  7. Subscribergregsflat
    Guitarist
    @William Penn's gaze
    Moves
    29 Jan '14 02:22
    I never saw that in a hardware store. I live only a few miles from Nazareth where Martin is, I imagine someone there knows.

BTW, I got permission for a project there, to record some of my guitar pieces in the little museum.

On the back burner now but the acoustics was nice in that room with all the vintage guitars, probably 200,000 bucks worth of 19t ...[text shortened]... so down to 0.010 inches.

They also have nut files, which I have a set of, if I can find them.
    BTW, congrats on your gig.
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    29 Jan '14 11:25
    BTW, congrats on your gig.
    Thanks! It'll be fun when I get to record there. Have new tunes I wrote for guitar and mandolin ready to roll🙂

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree