Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Culture Forum

Culture Forum

  1. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    20 Jul '08 03:04 / 1 edit
    YouTube&feature=related

    YouTube&feature=user

    Look at the first then the second!
  2. 20 Jul '08 15:06
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGTfDf4b5oE&feature=related

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfjTrrBE_eI&feature=user

    Look at the first then the second!
    The kid is definitely awesome. Sounds like he needs to get a social life, though.
  3. Standard member Nemesio
    Ursulakantor
    20 Jul '08 23:03
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGTfDf4b5oE&feature=related

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfjTrrBE_eI&feature=user

    Look at the first then the second!
    Re: Second video

    That's a stupid law. It's one of those letter/spirit of the law things. The stupid congressmen will
    enforce it even though it's patent that child thrives on performing and that denying him that
    opportunity certainly causes him more emotional harm.

    Would they do the same to Mozart and Mendelssohn? Probably.

    Nemesio
  4. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    21 Jul '08 01:38
    Originally posted by dryhump
    The kid is definitely awesome. Sounds like he needs to get a social life, though.
    Sounds like he has or had plenty of social life, he mentioned getting girlfriends in school, don't forget, he's only 8 for god's sake!
  5. Standard member Nemesio
    Ursulakantor
    21 Jul '08 04:35 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by dryhump
    The kid is definitely awesome. Sounds like he needs to get a social life, though.
    I just love the irony of a guy with the handle 'dryhump' saying that an eight-year old who
    plays in two bands needs to get a life.

    Just priceless.

    Nemesio
  6. 23 Jul '08 22:16
    This kid is cool; however he does seem to have some autistic tendencies. Music will be his direction in life and give him a focus. Mozart was almost definitely autistic. This post is not an insult just an observation.
  7. Standard member DoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    24 Jul '08 01:16 / 6 edits
    Originally posted by dryhump
    The kid is definitely awesome.
    Frankly, I wasn't impressed. Anybody who practices blues guitar two to three hours a day for three years should be play able to play more musically than that. He's just running riffs and mucking with the pentatonic scale patterns on the fretboard. His only draw is that he's young, not that he's good, let alone awesome.

    B.B. King is awesome. Eric Clapton is awesome. Even Bill Cosby is awesome.
    YouTube


    This kid, however, is a guitar prodigy.
    YouTube
    YouTube
  8. Donation kirksey957
    Outkast
    24 Jul '08 03:03
    YouTube&feature=related

    This is BB gettin his groove on.
  9. Subscriber gregsflat
    William Penn's gaze
    24 Jul '08 04:11
    It's the kid's attitude, he's too put on, like someone gave him lessons in "I'm so cool".
    Notice the tablature on the music stand, he can't read music. He'll be burnt out by 13.
    When everyone catches up to him, then he'll be able to feel the blues.
    I'm impressed by his hand strength, he does have big hands, and he can bend a string a half step, I was just trying to get 14 year olds to push a string that far.

    Have you seen that kid from Japan with two guitars fingertaping Mario's Theme on two different guitar necks at the same time. Counterpoint was impeccable. Kids play video games so much I guess those tunes are DNA.
  10. Subscriber sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    25 Jul '08 04:03
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Frankly, I wasn't impressed. Anybody who practices blues guitar two to three hours a day for three years should be play able to play more musically than that. He's just running riffs and mucking with the pentatonic scale patterns on the fretboard. His only draw is that he's young, not that he's good, let alone awesome.

    B.B. King is awesome. Er ...[text shortened]... igy.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZpD0btOZx8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udJr9cMCVFk
    I don't think awesome would be the word for that kid, like you say BB is awesome but he is what 70 years older? Give the kid time. When I was 8 I was plunking on the piano, didn't even know what a guitar WAS🙂
  11. 25 Jul '08 15:57
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Sounds like he has or had plenty of social life, he mentioned getting girlfriends in school, don't forget, he's only 8 for god's sake!
    two to three hours of practice a day plus school doesn't leave time for much else. He seemed like those spelling bee kids. Do you remember that girl that shouted all the letters in the final word? I found myself hoping they would give her the bell just for being obnoxious.
  12. 25 Jul '08 16:01
    Originally posted by Nemesio
    Re: Second video

    That's a stupid law. It's one of those letter/spirit of the law things. The stupid congressmen will
    enforce it even though it's patent that child thrives on performing and that denying him that
    opportunity certainly causes him more emotional harm.

    Would they do the same to Mozart and Mendelssohn? Probably.

    Nemesio
    Kids have to learn to deal with disappointment. It won't hurt him any to have to wait and play gigs when he gets older. The child labor laws are for kids protection. Do you think his dad would mind pimping him out anywhere he could? He'd probably have the kid playing 6 nights a week. The kid would look like Kramer in that seinfeld episode when he makes his apartment a smoking hangout.
  13. Standard member Nemesio
    Ursulakantor
    25 Jul '08 21:51
    Originally posted by dryhump
    Kids have to learn to deal with disappointment. It won't hurt him any to have to wait and play gigs when he gets older. The child labor laws are for kids protection. Do you think his dad would mind pimping him out anywhere he could? He'd probably have the kid playing 6 nights a week. The kid would look like Kramer in that seinfeld episode when he makes his apartment a smoking hangout.
    If the father was pimping him out, then it would be a problem -- not because it is against
    the law, but because it violates the freedom for a child to be a child. However, in this case, it is
    the child who desires to play gigs, not the father. The father merely supports it. And, if you
    bothered to listen to the report, all of the money that the child earns through his gigs went to his
    college own college fund.

    Yes, the kid needs to learn to deal with disappointment, but that disappointment ought to be earned.
    If he didn't get a gig because he was too expensive, or too lousy, or the wrong sort of music, then
    he should learn to deal with it. However, if he doesn't get a gig that he wants, and from a
    place that wants to give him the gig, but doesn't get it because someone has decided that he
    is being 'pimped,' he should fight it like anyone ought to fight any unjust law.

    Nemesio
  14. Standard member Nemesio
    Ursulakantor
    25 Jul '08 21:54
    Originally posted by dryhump
    two to three hours of practice a day plus school doesn't leave time for much else. He seemed like those spelling bee kids. Do you remember that girl that shouted all the letters in the final word? I found myself hoping they would give her the bell just for being obnoxious.
    Just because he isn't pursuing your idea of fun, doesn't mean he doesn't have a life. He is
    nourished by his practice.

    The average kid in America watches like 3 hours of television a day. Does every child in America
    have 'no life?' What would be your definition of a 2nd grader having an appropriate social life, anyway?

    Nemesio
  15. 25 Jul '08 23:07 / 1 edit
    I think some people feel threatened when they see someone so young with such a talent. It makes them feel insecure. Ha ha. Why do people have to put a neg slant on things? Anyway, rock on!
    As for him just playing riffs? There's feeling and touch there. The kid's got talent.
    Anyway smell this: -

    YouTube&feature=related

    YouTube&feature=rec-fresh

    He's got loads of vids on there. I think his dad does all the arrangements but he rarely drops a note.