1. Joined
    29 Dec '07
    Moves
    29 Sep '08 19:58
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Neither do I. One of my favorite fantasy series when I was a kid - the Dragonlance series - is now tainted by all the official Dragonlance stuff now written by Weiss and Hickman.

Then again, Dragons of Summer Flame was written by Weiss and Hickman, and I hated it.
    jeez... i had no idea they're were that many books involved in the dragonlance chronicles... I just looked it up on wiki.

I read the first ones the dragons of autumn twilight, winter night and spring dawning and I think i read the twins trilogy once too. I quite enjoyed them... Who were the original writers then if not hickman and weiss?
  2. The sky
    Moves
    29 Sep '08 20:551 edit
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    Unfinished Tales was all right, but Christopher Tolkien's zeal in unearthing every single last scrap of Tolkien's writing, down to a humorous dwarf scribbled on a napkin in a restaurant (the only extant reference to dwarven plumbing in the oeuvre), went beyond the bounds of duty, I thought. There's about a dozen of those things. Now there is 'The Lay of Hurin'. Anybody read that?
    I agree that he went too far. His father probably wouldn't have liked it at all. (But I still don't see the parallel with the follow-up on the Hitchhiker's Guide.)
  3. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    30 Sep '08 13:57
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    I agree that he went too far. His father probably wouldn't have liked it at all. (But I still don't see the parallel with the follow-up on the Hitchhiker's Guide.)
    They can both be construed as variations on the theme of flogging a dead horse.

Otherwise nothing.
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    01 Oct '08 00:05
    Originally posted by Feastboy
    jeez... i had no idea they're were that many books involved in the dragonlance chronicles... I just looked it up on wiki.

I read the first ones the dragons of autumn twilight, winter night and spring dawning and I think i read the twins trilogy once too. I quite enjoyed them... Who were the original writers then if not hickman and weiss?
    I meant *not written by Hickman and Weiss. You're describing the Chronicles and probably the Legends series, which are the ones I liked. There was also a series about Raistlin and Caramon called the Twins series but that might have been written by others.
  5. Subscribershavixmir
    Guppy poo
    Sewers of Holland
    Moves
    01 Oct '08 10:57
    Originally posted by Feastboy

I feel uneasy, and a little unclean.

it just doesn't seem right to me.

I heard Colfer on radio 4 this morning and he said he wouldn't be trying to write in the style of Adams he would just use the characters but with his own style. Does this sound weird to you?

Either way they should just leave poor Arthur alone.
    DON'T PANIC.

Forget not, you can always opt to... wait for it...
    Not read it.

As the Guide clearly states in reference to Gobbigol Gargleblaster, which in effect is a Gargleblaster II, created because the initial ingredients became too expensive after the great Dohonny meltdown of 2045: If you don't like it, don't drink it.
    However, if your brains weren't blown by the first Gargleblaster, there's very little chance you won't try the second one.
  6. Joined
    29 Dec '07
    Moves
    01 Oct '08 17:51
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    DON'T PANIC.

Forget not, you can always opt to... wait for it...
    Not read it.

As the Guide clearly states in reference to Gobbigol Gargleblaster, which in effect is a Gargleblaster II, created because the initial ingredients became too expensive after the great Dohonny meltdown of 2045: If you don't like it, don't drink it.
    However, if your brains ...[text shortened]... blown by the first Gargleblaster, there's very little chance you won't try the second one.
    Yeah I could not read it. I'll probably try not too although undoubtedly a well meaning aunt will probably get me it for xmas or something.

It's just the fact that it's happening at all. You shouldn't meddle with other peoples stuff. I can't really give a good reason... it's just a feeling I have. Probably a hypocritical one in some circumstances but I just think H2G2 is special somehow.
  7. Joined
    29 Dec '07
    Moves
    01 Oct '08 17:55
    I meant *not written by Hickman and Weiss. You're describing the Chronicles and probably the Legends series, which are the ones I liked. There was also a series about Raistlin and Caramon called the Twins series but that might have been written by others.
    I think the twins series was written by Hickman and Weiss too. I think they wrote three trilogies which i had (I'd forgotten about the legend trilogies).

They were pretty good though... Tanis, Flint... Tasslehoff... Christ I want to read them again now... Unfortunately i lent them to someone and then he lent them to his brother, then his brother joined the army and sold them... What a crock.
  8. weedhopper
    Moves
    01 Oct '08 23:07
    It sounds like I should have given those D&D novels a chance. I have friends who liked the Ed Greenwood stuff about Elminster, and now I hear DragonLance wasn't bad either. I preferred Hickman's Ravenloft modules to the DL ones, but the novels must have been much different.
  9. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    03 Oct '08 10:57
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    It sounds like I should have given those D&D novels a chance. I have friends who liked the Ed Greenwood stuff about Elminster, and now I hear DragonLance wasn't bad either. I preferred Hickman's Ravenloft modules to the DL ones, but the novels must have been much different.
    I gather their own D&D sessions generated much of the narrative. There would be no Forgotten Realms without them.

Therefore they must burn in hell.
  10. the highway to hell
    Moves
    14 Oct '08 10:00
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    heard him discuss it on bbc radio 4.
    its a bad idea, like the american movie version.
    the thing was great in its time when it was fresh.
    whats the point?
    why not repaint the mona lisa while he's at it?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree