1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    14 Feb '09 06:00
    It would seem that if a US TV series runs for 7, 8 or 10 or more series, it is without doubt considered a hit. Hill St Blues, Frasier, West Wing, Monk, Cheers, ER. At the other end of the scale is something like Firefly where they didn't even air all the episodes of series one that they'd shot. Star Trek (the original series) was considered somewhat of a flop after being cancelled after only three series (although it was hit in syndication later). Deadwood, on the other hand, appeared to have told the story it had set out to tell in its three series. But take a series like "Shark" with James Woods: cancelled after two series. Is that considered to be a relatively 'unsuccessful' series, or does getting commissioned to make a second series indicate that the TV series was a success. We're talking Accumulated Mass Subjectivity here. How many series need to be made before people consider it to be good solid, successful TV series-making?
  2. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    14 Feb '09 13:37
    100 episodes; the magic number for syndication. After that it doesn't matter how the series did initially, it can potentially find a new audience.
  3. Joined
    24 Apr '07
    Moves
    17 Feb '09 02:04
    Only 3 or 4 is needed! 2 of the best series in recent years were the UK version of the office and Father Ted and they only needed 2 and 3 series to be remembered as a huge hit!

How many series get better after the 4th and 5th series anyway?
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    17 Feb '09 03:31
    Originally posted by Jamesqt
    Only 3 or 4 is needed! 2 of the best series in recent years were the UK version of the office and Father Ted and they only needed 2 and 3 series to be remembered as a huge hit!

TV series in the UK are typically only 6 episodes or so (e.g. Fawlty Towers, The Office, Only Fools And Horses, Last of the Summer Wine) and UK programme makers seem much more inclined to quit while their series is ahead. An integral part of the pricelessness of The Office (UK) was that there were only 12 regular episodes. Less is more, sometimes. The Office (US) - which I almost wanted to be bad, but I rate it very highly - has now reached its 5th series and 89th episode. Nevertheless, I reckon it goes from strength to strength. Father Ted was aired in 3 series (6, 10 and 8 episodes respectively... only qualifies as one series in the U.S.! LOL.) between 1994 and 1998.

Fair point. However, I would cite 'Seinfeld' and 'Star Trek TNG' for starters. And I personally would say that the 6th season of The Sopranos topped series 3 to 5.
  5. Standard memberPariah325
    Knife Wielder
    In the shadows...
    Moves
    18 Feb '09 03:15
    South Park's sixth season was the best since season one.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree