1. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    25 Sep '13 22:07
    Originally posted by NoEarthlyReason
    Actually, you spelt the third syllable 'kunts'. I think Gesamkunstwerke is the plural, and Gesamkunstwerk is the singular.

Whatever, being pedantic aside, German can be a very difficult language for Anglophones. I wish I knew how to speak it--for one thing, I've always imagined I'd might begin to appreciate the great German composers in a subtle new way (by which I mean not just the vocal music, but all of it).
    Without question understanding a bit more German helps appreciate both sung and instrumental German music better. Have ever listened to the great Schubert song cycles such as Die Schone Mullerin, Die Winterreise, Schwanengesang? The great subtleties in the music are better appreciated even with a smattering of German. Take for example Taubenpost (pigeon post) from the latter and last lied Schubert wrote. The gently undulating music suggests the cute little bobbing heads of the pigeons. Or Der Doppelganger. Everyone knows the word, yet digging deeper and realizing one is one's own doppelganger looking in to a past happier life fills one with dramatic terror and fear of massive loss. Or how about Papageno's happy aria about being a bird catcher working for a meal and yearning for love in a simple damsel for a simpleton.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree