1. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    08 Apr '13 10:03
    where better than a 'culture' forum to give a little nod to one of the greatest sci-fiction writers of all time. sad news indeed. i hope a GSV arrives intime to upload him.

'use of weapons' is the best ive read so far, probably because im the only person i know that didnt see the twist coming! great book, great author.
  2. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    09 Apr '13 21:26
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    where better than a 'culture' forum to give a little nod to one of the greatest sci-fiction writers of all time. sad news indeed. i hope a GSV arrives intime to upload him.

'use of weapons' is the best ive read so far, probably because im the only person i know that didnt see the twist coming! great book, great author.
    Couldn't get into his sci-fi but the Iain Banks novels are absolutely brilliant.
    A rare talent.
  3. Joined
    10 Nov '12
    Moves
    10 Apr '13 12:37
    He is certainly a phenomenal talent. I have found his books quite unsettling and cold, but some of the writing and imagery is breathtakingly original and clever. He's the sort of author for whom the phrase 'tour de force' could have been invented.
  4. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    10 Apr '13 21:25
    He got lazy in the 90s, repeating himself and not really bothering with ideas, but Use Of Weapons and Consider Phlebas changed my life.
  5. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    11 Apr '13 02:59
    Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
    He got lazy in the 90s, repeating himself and not really bothering with ideas, but Use Of Weapons and Consider Phlebas changed my life.
    Really?
    I thought Song of Stone was his best since the Wasp Factory.

Most disappointing: The Bridge

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree