1. Joined
    15 Aug '06
    Moves
    10 Aug '08 16:51
    Why 'unnervongly gay'. I don't think the late great Durt was either gay or homophobic.
  2. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    11 Aug '08 07:29
    Originally posted by The Sultan of Solid
    Why 'unnervongly gay'. I don't think the late great Durt was either gay or homophobic.
    "Hit me with your rhythm stick"? You don't see the gayness there?

I don't think the song was written with gay symbolism intended, but I wouldn't be surprised if the implication wasn't intentional. It's a silly song.
  3. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    11 Aug '08 07:56
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    "Hit me with your rhythm stick"? You don't see the gayness there?

I don't think the song was written with gay symbolism intended, but I wouldn't be surprised if the implication wasn't intentional. It's a silly song.
    Sillier than Camper van Beethoven?

I rate 'Take the Skinheads Bowling' as one of the greatest songs of all time !!!
  4. Joined
    19 Mar '05
    Moves
    15 Aug '08 13:02
    Originally posted by shavixmir
    Dead. Good riddance.
    You have no taste, Ian Dury was a God.
  5. Standard memberBosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    Spiel des Lebens
    Moves
    15 Aug '08 13:08
    Originally posted by demonseed
    You have no taste, Ian Dury was a God.
    Right on both scores.
  6. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    17 Aug '08 09:50
    I met Ian Dury 20-odd years ago, when they played Glasgow Uni.

Seemed a decent, down-to-earth guy.

I've an interesting album produced after his clog-popping, with various people doing covers. Bit hit & miss - Robbie Williams doing 'Sweet Gene Vincent' just doesn't work. But Sinead O'Connor does a version of 'Wake Up' which I quite like.

Called 'Brand New Boots and Panties', so you can guess where the originals come from.
  7. Joined
    03 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Aug '08 15:30
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    "Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick" while unnervingly gay and bizaare sounds beautiful. I like Dury's voice, especially when he speaks French or verbally plays with British accents (maybe that's just his regular voice), but I listened to "Sex and Drugs and Rock and Roll" and "Roll Over and Make Love With Me" and I was not impressed.

Does this b ...[text shortened]... ry have? That's not Cockney, but I don't know the names of any other English accents.
    I think Ian was trying for the 'Essex', just east of London, accent.

His band did lots of good stuff. Also, try to find his 'Solo' Lord Uppminster.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree