I'm showing my age, but this is magical!

I'm showing my age, but this is magical!

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

b
Enigma

Seattle

Moves
01 Aug 13
1 edit

Scarbrough Fair...I didn't think anyone could do it any better than Simon and Garfunkle, but this young lady has the voice of angels!

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
01 Aug 13

Originally posted by bill718
Scarbrough Fair...I didn't think anyone could do it any better than Simon and Garfunkle, but this young lady has the voice of angels!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiZJP_XLmrQ
Lovely young woman, Hayley Westenra.

Don't know if you know the story behind Simon and Garfunkle getting that song but Simon went over to England and heard it sung by Martin Carthy, a brilliant guitarist and singer.

He proceeded to just steal Martin's version after buddying up to him, this was around 1966. Then back to the US and added the instrumentation we know now but gave not a hint of the actual source. So Martin got absolutely no credit even though it was his version and of course not a cent in royalties.

Martin is STILL pee'd at that snub. Total snub of a great musician.

old pueblo

Moves
03 Aug 13

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiZJP_XLmrQ
Awesome! Thanks for posting the link!

b
Enigma

Seattle

Moves
03 Aug 13

Originally posted by sonhouse
Lovely young woman, Hayley Westenra.

Don't know if you know the story behind Simon and Garfunkle getting that song but Simon went over to England and heard it sung by Martin Carthy, a brilliant guitarist and singer.

He proceeded to just steal Martin's version after buddying up to him, this was around 1966. Then back to the US and added the instrumen ...[text shortened]... a cent in royalties.

Martin is STILL pee'd at that snub. Total snub of a great musician.
Sonhouse- No...I didn't know that Paul Simon did this. That makes me a bit angry. There is no excuse for stealing someone's ideas.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
03 Aug 13

Sonhouse- No...I didn't know that Paul Simon did this. That makes me a bit angry. There is no excuse for stealing someone's ideas.
Yep, I was around when it came out, 1967 or 68. I was working on a radar site on a little sand bar off the Florida coast and some guys there played it for me. I was entranced. But didn't hear about Martin Carthy till ten years later when I was playing professionally in an Irish band, Southwind Irish Band.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
05 Aug 13
2 edits

This is Martin Carthy's original in 1966.

Martin's daughter Eliza is in this cut with her mother, Norma Waterson:

Martin Carthy: Famous Flower of serving men: