Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Culture Forum

Culture Forum

  1. 01 Nov '15 17:26 / 2 edits
    Seeking recommendations that are influenced by jazz or New Music (modern classical) rather than rock / pop.

    No idea of how much might be out there, if any. What got me thinking about it was the film "Greetings from Tim Buckley". The cellist in the concert was playing some really progressive stuff and got my attention. Found out that it was Hank Roberts who works quite a bit in the avant jazz world.
  2. Subscriber nimzophysh
    Ranger
    11 Nov '15 21:40
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Seeking recommendations that are influenced by jazz or New Music (modern classical) rather than rock / pop.

    No idea of how much might be out there, if any. What got me thinking about it was the film "Greetings from Tim Buckley". The cellist in the concert was playing some really progressive stuff and got my attention. Found out that it was Hank Roberts who works quite a bit in the avant jazz world.
    Try Bill Frisell. Perhaps the East/West or Good Dog albums
  3. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    12 Nov '15 17:42 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by nimzophysh
    Try Bill Frisell. Perhaps the East/West or Good Dog albums
    Tommy Emmanuel is a really good guitarist who started in folk and blues.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lbvSBNLLoo

    He is out Arthuring Arthur Smith here with Guitar boogie.

    Then there is Martin Simpson, infrappingcredible guitarist also:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQELHWJTdRU

    And this, Walking Blues;

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHY74AjKRjI
  4. Subscriber nimzophysh
    Ranger
    13 Nov '15 21:02
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Tommy Emmanuel is a really good guitarist who started in folk and blues.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lbvSBNLLoo

    He is out Arthuring Arthur Smith here with Guitar boogie.

    Then there is Martin Simpson, infrappingcredible guitarist also:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQELHWJTdRU

    And this, Walking Blues;

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHY74AjKRjI
    Emmanuel is quite simply marvelous--nice new album with Martin Taylor--but he's not what I'd call avant guard.
  5. 14 Nov '15 20:02
    Originally posted by nimzophysh
    Try Bill Frisell. Perhaps the East/West or Good Dog albums
    Frisell isn't a bad recommendation, though I'm really looking for albums that are by folk artists that push the boundaries toward jazz / New Music rather than the other way around. Maybe there really isn't much out there. I was thinking sonhouse might have a few recs.

    That said, I have East / West and took a listen to Good Dog. Both lean too much toward rock / pop for me - especially Good Dog with Keltner's emphasis on backbeat. Interestingly Hank Roberts appears on Frisell discs such as Sign of Life, History / Mystery and Big Sur. I have the first two but passed on Big Sur because Royston also drives the sound toward rock / pop with an emphasis on backbeat.

    Any other ideas?