1. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    01 Nov '15 17:262 edits
    Seeking recommendations that are influenced by jazz or New Music (modern classical) rather than rock / pop.

No idea of how much might be out there, if any. What got me thinking about it was the film "Greetings from Tim Buckley". The cellist in the concert was playing some really progressive stuff and got my attention. Found out that it was Hank Roberts who works quite a bit in the avant jazz world.
  2. Rohan
    Moves
    11 Nov '15 21:40
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Seeking recommendations that are influenced by jazz or New Music (modern classical) rather than rock / pop.

No idea of how much might be out there, if any. What got me thinking about it was the film "Greetings from Tim Buckley". The cellist in the concert was playing some really progressive stuff and got my attention. Found out that it was Hank Roberts who works quite a bit in the avant jazz world.
    Try Bill Frisell. Perhaps the East/West or Good Dog albums
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Nov '15 17:422 edits
    Originally posted by nimzophysh
    Tommy Emmanuel is a really good guitarist who started in folk and blues.
    YouTube

He is out Arthuring Arthur Smith here with Guitar boogie.

Then there is Martin Simpson, infrappingcredible guitarist also:

YouTube

And this, Walking Blues;

YouTube
  4. Rohan
    Moves
    13 Nov '15 21:02
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Tommy Emmanuel is a really good guitarist who started in folk and blues.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lbvSBNLLoo

He is out Arthuring Arthur Smith here with Guitar boogie.

Then there is Martin Simpson, infrappingcredible guitarist also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQELHWJTdRU

And this, Walking Blues;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHY74AjKRjI
    Emmanuel is quite simply marvelous--nice new album with Martin Taylor--but he's not what I'd call avant guard.
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    14 Nov '15 20:02
    Originally posted by nimzophysh
    Frisell isn't a bad recommendation, though I'm really looking for albums that are by folk artists that push the boundaries toward jazz / New Music rather than the other way around. Maybe there really isn't much out there. I was thinking sonhouse might have a few recs.

That said, I have East / West and took a listen to Good Dog. Both lean too much toward rock / pop for me - especially Good Dog with Keltner's emphasis on backbeat. Interestingly Hank Roberts appears on Frisell discs such as Sign of Life, History / Mystery and Big Sur. I have the first two but passed on Big Sur because Royston also drives the sound toward rock / pop with an emphasis on backbeat.

Any other ideas?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree