1. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    20 Apr '10 15:53
    http://www.najp.org/articles/2010/04/hegemony-and-its-discontents.html

I pretty much agree with the author's view of France's new generation being less French (in a the cultural exception sense), but I cannot say how true is what he says about the us. I found the juxtaposition of the two dynamics interesting, though.
  2. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    20 Apr '10 17:142 edits
    it does seem that in the US, no matter what the genre, almost all music you hear originates in the US, with the occasional "British invasion" or perhaps, every once in awhile, something from the Caribbean or Mexico.

If the French or anyone else wants what passes for "hip-hop" or "pop" these days in the US, they are more than welcome to take it off our hands 😀

One of the things that has really surprised me is the utter lack of anything from Chinese, Indian, or other Asian artists, even though a large number of immigrants now come from these places.

I would like to look at the Billboard Hot 100 and see at least half the acts coming from outside the US - and with at least half of these coming from outside Great Britain or Latin America.

It's the 21st century. Someone can record something in India or China and have it up on the internet for the rest of the world to download almost instantly. With over a billion people in each of these countries, there's got to be absurd amounts of talent that goes completely overlooked.
  3. silicon valley
    Moves
    20 Apr '10 18:01
    most of my video library is international.

but the video itself doesn't need translation, and the soundtrack generally comes with translated subtitles. not so with music.

music is primarily affected by the lyrics (most people don't listen primarily to instrumentals unless they're only into classical, do they?)

do lyrics really translate well? if lyrics and vocals are a bit off, does it mostly come across as off, not as quaintly appealing, as is the case with films?

how is jonny hallyday? i liked him in Crime Spree, but haven't heard his music.
  4. Germany
    Moves
    20 Apr '10 19:28
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    it does seem that in the US, no matter what the genre, almost all music you hear originates in the US, with the occasional "British invasion" or perhaps, every once in awhile, something from the Caribbean or Mexico.

If the French or anyone else wants what passes for "hip-hop" or "pop" these days in the US, they are more than welcome to take it off our ...[text shortened]... e countries, there's got to be absurd amounts of talent that goes completely overlooked.
    There are a couple of Indian immigrants to the west which have fused eastern and western music styles with moderate commercial success; e.g. Karsh Kale, Talvin Singh. Ravi Shankar was successful in the west for a couple of decades (though I prefer the works of his nephew Ananda). Japanese rock bands have had some occasional success in the west; for example Loudness in the 80s and currently Boris is one of the biggest names in the drone/experimental scene with Sunn O))) and those guys while Koenjihyakkei is one of the bigger names of the recent zeuhl revival. You shouldn't have much trouble finding some Tuvan throat singing either (e.g. Huun-Huur-Tu).
  5. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    20 Apr '10 20:301 edit
    Originally posted by KazetNagorra
    There are a couple of Indian immigrants to the west which have fused eastern and western music styles with moderate commercial success; e.g. Karsh Kale, Talvin Singh. Ravi Shankar was successful in the west for a couple of decades (though I prefer the works of his nephew Ananda). Japanese rock bands have had some occasional success in the west; for exam ...[text shortened]... . You shouldn't have much trouble finding some Tuvan throat singing either (e.g. Huun-Huur-Tu).
    If all of these acts can get themselves onto the Billboard Hot 100, it might actually become worthwhile to turn the radio on again.

In the 1960's there was the famed "British Invasion" (and the Beatles did put out a number of songs with Indian influences) - and there was another one in the mid 1980's -- so we're due for another big "invasion" -- it would cool if the current decade featured a big influx of japanese rock and indian east-west fusion music into the US.
  6. Germany
    Moves
    20 Apr '10 20:391 edit
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    If all of these acts can get themselves onto the Billboard Hot 100, it might actually become worthwhile to turn the radio on again.

In the 1960's there was the famed "British Invasion" (and the Beatles did put out a number of songs with Indian influences) - and there was another one in the mid 1980's -- so we're due for another big "invasion" -- it wou ...[text shortened]... ade featured a big influx of japanese rock and indian east-west fusion music into the US.
    There has been the occasional good artist with big commercial success, but in general I wouldn't trust the taste of the general populace. And with the internet, who still needs radio? Elevators, maybe?

You'll find some of these records in bigger US record stores, though.
  7. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    20 Apr '10 20:47
    There are a couple of Indian immigrants to the west which have fused eastern and western music styles with moderate commercial success; e.g. Karsh Kale, Talvin Singh. Ravi Shankar was successful in the west for a couple of decades (though I prefer the works of his nephew Ananda). Japanese rock bands have had some occasional success in the west; for exam ...[text shortened]... . You shouldn't have much trouble finding some Tuvan throat singing either (e.g. Huun-Huur-Tu).
    And Kazet spectacularly missed the point. Again.
  8. Germany
    Moves
    20 Apr '10 20:48
    Originally posted by Palynka
    And Kazet spectacularly missed the point. Again.
    Well, well. I wasn't responding to your OP, just the post I quoted.
  9. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    20 Apr '10 20:541 edit
    Well, well. I wasn't responding to your OP, just the post I quoted.
    Then apologies for spectacularly missing your point. 😀

Edit - Although in fact you missed his point.
  10. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    22 Apr '10 18:561 edit
    There are similarities. We're culturally, financially (well this might change) and militarily dominant, self absorbed, and the center of the scientific world.
  11. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    22 Apr '10 18:57
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Then apologies for spectacularly missing your point. 😀

Edit - Although in fact you missed his point.
    I insist that I missed all three of your points!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree