1. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    01 Apr '10 20:32
    So Japan considered itself the "Land of the Rising Sun". They were defeated by the USA, who came from the same place the Rising Sun does; from the East, over the Pacific. I know the "Black Ships" of the West (e.g. Commodore Perry) are part of Japanese culture. Is there any Japanese literature or art that examines these ideas that anyone knows of?
  2. Standard memberexpuddlepirate
    Exaulted high possum
    here...again
    Moves
    02 Apr '10 02:10
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    So Japan considered itself the "Land of the Rising Sun". They were defeated by the USA, who came from the same place the Rising Sun does; from the East, over the Pacific. I know the "Black Ships" of the West (e.g. Commodore Perry) are part of Japanese culture. Is there any Japanese literature or art that examines these ideas that anyone knows of?
    I wish I could recall where I seen it but I do recall seeing japanese paintings depicting Perry and his ships.
  3. silicon valley
    Moves
    03 Apr '10 11:09
    bunch of them.

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&source=hp&q=perry+japan&gbv=2&aq=f&aqi=g3&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    03 Apr '10 23:21
    I'm more interested in discussion of the rising sun coming out of the east as did the Americans. I'm aware of the black ship aspect to their culture.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree