1. Joined
    24 Apr '07
    Moves
    25 May '10 17:00
    Even the poor kevin Cosner version was far superior to this, absolutely nothing good about this film, very dissapointed
  2. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    25 May '10 19:14
    Originally posted by divegeester
    I don't believe there has ever been a good film produced about the Robin Hood genre (apart from perhaps Men In Tights); it's too ridiculous a concept in the first place.
    pfft. Watcht he errol flynn version
  3. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    25 May '10 19:16
    Maybe the French king was offended by the English spy's appalling pronunciation of his beloved mother-tongue?
  4. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    25 May '10 19:24
    Originally posted by Raven69
    I like the cartoon version. Good stuff.
    I'm still waiting for them to make a movie out of this version:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.net/graphics/news3/RocketRobinHood_V1.jpg
  5. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    25 May '10 22:05
    My favourite Robin Hood adaptations were, in ascending order:

Robin and Marian - which continues the story in their autumn years and stars Sean Connery and Audrey Hepburn

Robin Hood - with Patrick Bergen and Uma Thurman, which has a different approach to the story, which I found refreshing, though it's been a while since I last saw it so I can't vouch for its quality now.

Robin of Sherwood - a TV series in the 80s which, at the time, dramatically shaped my interests and tastes. It combined as much of the Robin Hood story as it did pagan myths and that creepy folklore edge which I still adore to this day and can never quite explain in words.

The Eroll Flynn version was okay, but I find it a little twee.
  6. Joined
    28 Mar '07
    Moves
    25 May '10 22:42
    Originally posted by Starrman
    My favourite Robin Hood adaptations were, in ascending order:

Robin and Marian - which continues the story in their autumn years and stars Sean Connery and Audrey Hepburn

Robin Hood - with Patrick Bergen and Uma Thurman, which has a different approach to the story, which I found refreshing, though it's been a while since I last saw it so I can't vouch ...[text shortened]... ever quite explain in words.

The Eroll Flynn version was okay, but I find it a little twee.
    Was going to post and mention these last two, but Starrman, clearly a fellow of exquisite taste, has beaten me to it.

Robin and Marion, one of the few adaptions where it actually rains in England. Imagine that!

Robin of Sherwood - totally awesome. The production looks a little ropey these days, but the stories hold up very well.

Phil.
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    26 May '10 18:23
    that creepy folklore edge which I still adore to this day
    ATYSOA
  8. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 May '10 19:41
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    ATYSOA
    I saw that same acronym in the illegal immigrant thread, I assume ATY is A thousand Young, but what is the last part? Zeeb queried you on that one also and you didn't answer.
  9. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    26 May '10 20:06
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    I saw that same acronym in the illegal immigrant thread, I assume ATY is A thousand Young, but what is the last part? Zeeb queried you on that one also and you didn't answer.
    Seal of Approval
  10. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    26 May '10 20:18
    Seal of Approval
    Same Ol' Acronym
  11. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    26 May '10 23:02
    Seal of Approval
    No animals were injured in the creation of this acronym.....
  12. Standard memberSunburnt
    🙏🏻
    Some other realm
    Moves
    27 May '10 22:17
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Interesting stuff. They are somewhere in the 12th century, the french king is talking to his spy or some such, they are speaking french, the king says 'speak ENGLISH'! Wow.

Also later in the film, Marian and Robby are dancing, the music track is O'Carolyn's 'Women of Ireland'.

Just dripping with authenticity for sure dude.
    Russell Crowe looked hot.
  13. silicon valley
    Moves
    28 May '10 18:38
    http://news.google.com/news/search?aq=f&pz=1&cf=all&ned=us&hl=en&q=russell+crowe+accent
  14. silicon valley
    Moves
    28 May '10 18:40
    http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/harrymount/100039825/russell-crowes-dreadful-accent-in-robin-hood-is-not-just-irish-its-also-geordie-yorkshire-and-west-country/

Russell Crowe's dreadful accent in Robin Hood is not just Irish. It's also Geordie, Yorkshire and West Country

By Harry Mount Society Last updated: May 14th, 2010

25 Comments

Good for Mark Lawson for taking Russell Crowe to task over his appalling accent, or accents, in Robin Hood – a dull film but for a few stirring bow and arrow scenes.

Crowe snapped when Lawson, in the politest possible way, said there were Irish hints to his accent – which there certainly are at the beginning of the film.

In his trademark aggressive way, Crowe said, “You’ve got dead ears, mate, you’ve seriously got dead ears. If you think that’s an Irish accent. B*******!”

Lawson, who is himself from the North, asked whether that was where Crowe was aiming his accent.

“No, I was going for Italian. Missed it? F*** me!” said Crowe before storming out of the interview.

Well, Lawson was spot on. When I saw the film, I tracked Crowe’s accent crossing the Irish Sea to the West Country for a bit of ooh-aar zoider-drinking, then hopping up north to Yorkshire and on to Northumberland, without stopping at Nottingham – Crowe’s intended destination.

Australian actors are generally better at doing English accents than Americans, because the two accents are closer in the first place. But neither country’s actors are much good at regional English accents; viz Dick Van Dyke’s disastrous Cockney in Mary Poppins.

The problem gets worse when actors – and this applies to British actors, too – go back to any period before about 1850. That’s when they tend to drop into the all-purpose Olden Days accent, a mix of Northern English, Stage Oirish, and Yokel West Country, that no real-life British, or Irish, person has ever spoken.

Crowe’s Robin Hood accent is textbook Olden Daysese. It should be broadcast at all acting schools, here and abroad, as an object lesson in how not to imitate an Englishman.
  15. silicon valley
    Moves
    28 May '10 18:40
    what is Geordie?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree