Karate Kid

Karate Kid

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
19 May 10

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
Despite the many layers, generally one culture seems to predominate in a particular area. That's how it seems to me anyway. The cultures are still clearly distinct in many cases despite the layers.
In Japan you have, among others, the Yamato people and the Ryukyuan people -- all Japanese, clearly, yet not exactly the same.

Identity is a complex fiction. To go back to the British -- there's something like a Celtic spirit that comes through in people that have never heard a Celtic word; in other parts of the same island (I'm looking at you, Geordie), there's a craggy Northern character that is as Viking as you like. Yet all British.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
19 May 10

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
In Japan you have, among others, the Yamato people and the Ryukyuan people -- all Japanese, clearly, yet not exactly the same.

Identity is a complex fiction. To go back to the British -- there's something like a Celtic spirit that comes through in people that have never heard a Celtic word; in other parts of the same island (I'm looking at you, Geordie), there's a craggy Northern character that is as Viking as you like. Yet all British.
Right, subdivisions of subdivisions...

I do not equate English to British.

silicon valley

Moves
21 May 10

Japanese are of Chinese stock. Physically they're not that different I don't think.

Is it really set in Beijing?
yeah, see the trailers.

it's not Lil Bow Wow, it's jada and will smith's kid.

dang, Lil Bow Wow's 23! he ain't called Lil no more, either 🙂.

---

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Karate_Kid_%282010_film%29

The Karate Kid is an upcoming 2010 martial arts film remake of the 1984 film of the same name. Directed by Harald Zwart, the remake stars Jaden Smith and Jackie Chan. Principal photography for the film took place in Beijing, China; filming began around July 2009 and ended on October 16, 2009. The Karate Kid will be released theatrically in the United States on June 11, 2010.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaden_Smith

Jaden Christopher Syre Smith (born July 8, 1998) is an American child actor and dancer who is the son of Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bow_Wow

Shad Gregory Moss (born March 9, 1987) is an American rapper and actor. He released his debut album, Beware of Dog at age 13, then under the stage name Lil Bow Wow, which was given to him by one of his idols, Snoop Dogg. He carried the stage name with him until his 2003 album, Unleashed, under simply Bow Wow (dropping the "Lil" from the name). Three more albums followed, Wanted in 2005, The Price of Fame in 2006 and New Jack City II in 2009. In 2007, he released the collaboration album Face Off with Omarion.[1]

Bow Wow made his first movie appearance was in All About the Benjamins, in 2002 as a cameo. In the same year, Bow Wow made his debut as the lead role in, Like Mike. He later began to undertake lead roles in movies such as, Johnson Family Vacation in 2004, and Roll Bounce, in 2005. He was also played as a supporting role in the film, The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift in 2006. Bow Wow also stars in the television series, Entourage.

silicon valley

Moves
21 May 10
1 edit

Japanese are of Chinese stock. Physically they're not that different I don't think.

r u sure? 😵

silicon valley

Moves
21 May 10

That's the Ainu. Those aren't the modern ethnic Japanese I don't think.

http://japanfocus.org/-Katsuya-HIRANO/3013

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yayoi_period#Origin_of_the_Yayoi_people

Some scholars also concluded that the Korean influence existed. These include "bunded paddy fields, new types of polished stone tools, wooden farming implements, iron tools, weaving technology, ceramic storage jars, exterior bonding of clay coils in pottery fabrication, ditched settlements, domesticated pigs and jawbone rituals."[11] This assumption also gains strength due to the fact that Yayoi culture began on the north coast of Kyūshū, where Japan is closest to Korea. Yayoi pottery, burial mounds, and food preservation were discovered to be very similar to the pottery of southern Korea.[12]

However, some argue that the rapid increase of roughly four million people in Japan between the Jōmon and Yayoi periods cannot be explained by migration alone. They attribute the increase primarily to a shift from a hunter-gatherer to an agricultural diet on the islands, with the introduction of rice. It is quite likely that rice cultivation and its subsequent deification allowed for mass population increase.[citation needed] Regardless, there is archaeological evidence that supports the idea that there was an influx of farmers from the continent to Japan that absorbed or overwhelmed the native hunter-gatherer population.[12]

silicon valley

Moves
21 May 10

Now that I'm on this line of thinking...for Los Angeles:

What language is dominant?
English

What's the name of the country and the people?
An English name.

Where did the legal system come from?
England.

What are the cultural values and assumptions?
English.

What is the state religion if any?
None. ...[text shortened]... /i]
Lots of indiginous names for streets. Lots of Spanish and English names for things.
for Los Angeles? 😵

wouldn't you have to visit New England to see if the Angeleno outlook is really more English or more Southwestern?

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
21 May 10

Originally posted by zeeblebot
for Los Angeles? 😵

wouldn't you have to visit New England to see if the Angeleno outlook is really more English or more Southwestern?
"Southwestern"?

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
27 May 10

Arnold from Happy Days?

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
27 May 10

Originally posted by expuddlepirate
Is it too soon to be doing a remake of this movie?
I'm sure there are enough rubes out there that will glady fork over the 10 bux to go see a movie they already saw.

Then they'll come on here and chat about which one was better.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
27 May 10

Originally posted by uzless
I'm sure there are enough rubes out there that will glady fork over the 10 bux to go see a movie they already saw.

Then they'll come on here and chat about which one was better.
Some idiots are still watching remakes of Shakespeare!!!!

d

Moves
27 May 10
1 edit

Originally posted by expuddlepirate
Is it too soon to be doing a remake of this movie?
It's never too soon to remake a movie. Just look at the Incredible Hulk, remade only 5 years after the first one!

Each version grossed around the same amount - $250 mil.

u
The So Fist

Voice of Reason

Moves
08 Jun 10

Originally posted by darvlay
It's never too soon to remake a movie. Just look at the Incredible Hulk, remade only 5 years after the first one!

Each version grossed around the same amount - $250 mil.
proving once again that modern medicine is keeping these idiots alive for far too long.

DSJ

Lawrence, Ks

Moves
18 Jun 10
1 edit

Some idiots are still watching remakes of Shakespeare!!!!

I'm sorry, but... SHOOT YOURSELF!