Liszt's 1st Piano Concerto in E

Liszt's 1st Piano Concerto in E

Culture

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

m
Ajarn

Wat?

Moves
02 Mar 13
1 edit

Mastered by none other than Dubravka Tomšič Srebotnjak, yes a great female pianist!

Beautifully and emotionally performed, and far from easy for any master.

I prefer Liszt's Eb concerto more, but this concerto has so much interplay between piano and individual orchestral instruments, far ahead of its time, in my book.

enjoy!

-m.

Edit: I almost forgot Dora Deliyska....... It's my women's lib and Liszt month. 😉

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=4jSFQXAO3jk&feature=endscreen

s

Moves
02 Mar 13

Originally posted by mikelom
Mastered by none other than Dubravka Tomšič Srebotnjak, yes a great female pianist!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2IucJhtiMc

Beautifully and emotionally performed, and far from easy for any master.

I prefer Liszt's Eb concerto more, but this concerto has so much interplay between piano and individual orchestral instruments, far ahead of its t ...[text shortened]... lib and Liszt month. 😉

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=4jSFQXAO3jk&feature=endscreen
Beautifully played. Liszt is an under-appreciated genius. Also this young lady is exquisitely beautiful!

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
03 Mar 13
6 edits

Originally posted by scacchipazzo
Beautifully played. Liszt is an under-appreciated genius. Also this young lady is exquisitely beautiful!
Here is another beauty, only 12 yo, she is also playing Liszt, what do you think of her potential? In the posts below, she answered she composed a couple of pieces on Youtube, I am going to try to find it and see how she did. Anita Peri is her name. Ever hear of her? I guess she is too young to have been heard much.

That piece is amazing, the use of both hands for the upper melody and she does it so smoothly and with dynamics. Seems to be a genuine prodigy.

OMG, she even plays cello!:

And her own composition, Nocturne for Strings:

I get the distinct feeling she is no flash in the pan!:

And here we have the possibility of a comparison to Argerich

And Martha:

I hope that last one comes out ok, it is jerky in my computer. Which REALLY sucks.

Well, here is one by Emil Gilels, 1968, at least the recording isn't jerky.

s

Moves
03 Mar 13
1 edit

Originally posted by sonhouse
Here is another beauty, only 12 yo, she is also playing Liszt, what do you think of her potential? In the posts below, she answered she composed a couple of pieces on Youtube, I am going to try to find it and see how she did. Anita Peri is her name. Ever hear of her? I guess she is too young to have been heard much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5Vzq4G ...[text shortened]... Gilels, 1968, at least the recording isn't jerky.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDAFvdhIKI4
Absolutely remarkable! I agree she is no flash in the pan. She plays and writes beautifully! Not bad looking. She will be a stunning beauty once she matures! Her musicianship is impressive indeed!

m
Ajarn

Wat?

Moves
05 Mar 13

Absolutely remarkable! I agree she is no flash in the pan. She plays and writes beautifully! Not bad looking. She will be a stunning beauty once she matures! Her musicianship is impressive indeed!
Wow! wow! agreed.....

and Canadian? ....... classical music has such a future, as opposed to classical cursive writing..... thanks to computers. 😠

I know.....I know....... the writing bit is unneeded, but applicable to some degree 😉

Where and how did you find this Sonhouse....... she's a big star of tomorrow! I hope she tours the world, and comes to BKK - I'll be in-line for a front seat ticket. 😉

-m.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
05 Mar 13

Wow! wow! agreed.....

and Canadian? ....... classical music has such a future, as opposed to classical cursive writing..... thanks to computers. 😠

I know.....I know....... the writing bit is unneeded, but applicable to some degree 😉

Where and how did you find this Sonhouse....... she's a big star of tomorrow! I hope she tours the world, and comes to BKK - I'll be in-line for a front seat ticket. 😉

-m.
I found her looking at Sca's post, surfing around. Great find, eh! When she starts touring she will need her own orchestra to play her own music along with her!

s

Moves
06 Mar 13

I found her looking at Sca's post, surfing around. Great find, eh! When she starts touring she will need her own orchestra to play her own music along with her!
Great find indeed, sonhouse! I'm glad you found her and shared! I hope to see this bright light of classical live in near future as well! The devotion and dedication of these youngsters breathes hope into all humanity. Last night, coming home on the train, there was an arts high school student getting on with a huge overload of gear. Regular class backpack, his cello, other gear. I got up so he and his cello could sit together and continue bonding! Most kids I ask about why they picked cello say they have fat fingers and would have sucked on violin. This one said he loves the human male voice and the cello matches the range of a tenor (true). He was hardly as big as his cello. Had train not been crowded I would have coerced him into playing a Bach solo cello sonata.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
07 Mar 13

Great find indeed, sonhouse! I'm glad you found her and shared! I hope to see this bright light of classical live in near future as well! The devotion and dedication of these youngsters breathes hope into all humanity. Last night, coming home on the train, there was an arts high school student getting on with a huge overload of gear. Regular class backp ...[text shortened]... llo. Had train not been crowded I would have coerced him into playing a Bach solo cello sonata.
Nice meeting! One time I was staying at a fleabag motel near Philly, I hear this incredible violin playing a few doors down. I figured out which room it was in and I called that room. It was a woman playing for the philly orchestra practicing some bach pieces, and she said, ok, I'll stop playing. I said NO! It sounds great! We talked for a while and I said goodbye and she kept on playing for another 30 minutes. It was heaven!

s

Moves
07 Mar 13
1 edit

Nice meeting! One time I was staying at a fleabag motel near Philly, I hear this incredible violin playing a few doors down. I figured out which room it was in and I called that room. It was a woman playing for the philly orchestra practicing some bach pieces, and she said, ok, I'll stop playing. I said NO! It sounds great! We talked for a while and I said goodbye and she kept on playing for another 30 minutes. It was heaven!
One time in Boston(Quincy Mkt) this dapper looking fellow in a tux starts setting up fancy speakers and sound gear. He then grabs a violin from behind a counter from store where he was getting his power from. He was a Russian immigrant. Played wondrously and wowed the crowd. Got lots of money from women. I struck up a conversation during a break. Dude was pulling $400-600/night on bad nights!

Your violin story is wonderful indeed. Bet she wasn't first chair to be staying in a flea bag! LOL

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
08 Mar 13

One time in Boston(Quincy Mkt) this dapper looking fellow in a tux starts setting up fancy speakers and sound gear. He then grabs a violin from behind a counter from store where he was getting his power from. He was a Russian immigrant. Played wondrously and wowed the crowd. Got lots of money from women. I struck up a conversation during a break. Dude w ...[text shortened]... r violin story is wonderful indeed. Bet she wasn't first chair to be staying in a flea bag! LOL
At the level of playing required for a symphony orchestra, me, mostly a lay person in that regard, would not be able to tell the last stringer from the top players if I heard them isolated from the orchestra!

I once met a beautiful woman in Denver. She was a part time gf of a folksinger named Ramblin Jack Elliot, a well known folkie who has been around since the 1940's, pals with Pete Seeger and Bob Dylan and such. Anyway, I was this skinny kid in the Air Force attending tech school there at Lowry AFB and somehow met this lady.

So we went to her flat and she had an old upright piano and sat down and started playing and singing a piece from an opera, forget which piece now. The transformation was incredible.

Here was this HUGE operatic soprano voice coming from her that filled the entire room and left me breathless! I was stunned. NEVER heard such singing before in person like that and hardly since! It was easy to see how Ramblin Jack would be interested in her! I was not even CLOSE to her league! I wish I could remember her name but that was decades ago.

s

Moves
09 Mar 13
1 edit

At the level of playing required for a symphony orchestra, me, mostly a lay person in that regard, would not be able to tell the last stringer from the top players if I heard them isolated from the orchestra!

I once met a beautiful woman in Denver. She was a part time gf of a folksinger named Ramblin Jack Elliot, a well known folkie who has been around I was not even CLOSE to her league! I wish I could remember her name but that was decades ago.
I have been blessed with access to all sorts of singing including opera. Now my son takes voice lessons and it is a joy to learn more deeply of the intricate technique involved. Few instruments are as lovely as the human voice. When beauty and talent intersect it is indeed something awesome to behold. My family and I dance in an Italian folk dance group. Festivals frequently include opera numbers for Italian areas of culture. At one international there was a group of lovely women, all backup singers or from the symphony chorus. Their voices were so incredible live and up close. One especially tall mezzo refused a mike and sang on a stage with no acoustics. Her voice was incredibly powerful. The accompanist switched with his spouse and took the stage for an ensemble number. They did the quartet from Rigoletto. The transformative effect of music is incredible indeed. These folks acted as well as they sang and gave us enormous pleasure. It was hard to believe they were not first tier singers. The same line is quite blurry for first chair down to third. At times it is merely youth or inexperience although great talent rises rather quickly. Arturo Toscanini was first cello with a traveling orchestra presenting Aida in Brazil. Conductor falls mysteriously ill after bad reviews. Toscanini takes over and conducts Aida from memory and history was made. Toscanini from that point on never played cello in an orchestra again and became the world famous conductor and intimate friend of Verdi. Few knew Verdi that well for the master was reclusive.

I was at a dinner once at a friend of my wife's home. I am a curious kind of fellow, enjoy other people's art greatly and also love quirky decorations. I pick up unusual ashtrays, look to see where these are made, etc. On the wall I find a conductor's baton encased in a glass frame. It is signed to our hostess, Bianca Pelizzi, with love, Arturo Toscanini! I hunt Bianca down and ask how she happened to be so honored. Her father was Toscanini's impresario. Bianca's father occupied and owned an apartment across from Carnegie Hall once occupied by Gustav Mahler and then Bruno Walter, Mahler's protege. Eventually it went to Toscanini and after he moved to LA it went to Bianca's dad for a pittance. When they inherited this apartment they had no idea of its history and bemoaned having to fuss with selling the place. I informed them of the place's history and told them they'd easily sell the place for at least $3-4M. Ended up selling for $5M!

m
Ajarn

Wat?

Moves
10 Mar 13

I have a beer bottle signed by Rick Wakeman. Would it put up the value of my new home, if I encased it and walled it? 😀

Sorry...... 😳

-m. 😉

s

Moves
10 Mar 13

I have a beer bottle signed by Rick Wakeman. Would it put up the value of my new home, if I encased it and walled it? 😀

Sorry...... 😳

-m. 😉
Probably not unless Mahler and Bruno Walter drank from it! Better if all three pissed in it! If you frame with a little bit of whizz in the bottle and clearly label whose it is then once you sell your house you'll be surprised. Throw in that Leonard Bernstein lost his virginity with same bottle and voila!