1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Jun '10 11:47
    A recent Special Feature on TV and technology in The Economist magazine, in passing, cited The West Wing, The Sopranos, Mad Men and Modern Family as examples of good TV in the U.S. I know the first two, but had to track down examples of the latter two and found them to be good. Are Mad Men and Modern Family big hits in the U.S.? Have they earned critical acclaim? Should other shows have been on that back-of-a-fag-packet list of four 'good TV series'?
  2. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    23 Jun '10 12:33
    The Wire, Generation Kill, Tru Blood, The Shield
  3. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    25 Jun '10 01:521 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    A recent Special Feature on TV and technology in The Economist magazine, in passing, cited The West Wing, The Sopranos, Mad Men and Modern Family as examples of good TV in the U.S. I know the first two, but had to track down examples of the latter two and found them to be good. Are Mad Men and Modern Family big hits in the U.S.? Have ...[text shortened]... laim? Should other shows have been on that back-of-a-fag-packet list of four 'good TV series'?
    Mad Men has been quite honored here in the States and rightly so.
  4. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    28 Jun '10 13:031 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    A recent Special Feature on TV and technology in The Economist magazine, in passing, cited The West Wing, The Sopranos, Mad Men and Modern Family as examples of good TV in the U.S. I know the first two, but had to track down examples of the latter two and found them to be good. Are Mad Men and Modern Family big hits in the U.S.? Have ...[text shortened]... laim? Should other shows have been on that back-of-a-fag-packet list of four 'good TV series'?
    Mad Men is not a network show so it doesn't quite get the hype, but I agree that it's one of the best shows on today.

I've never seen Modern Family.

I'd also nominate The Wire and the Shield. Never seen Tru blood.

Generation Kill was great, but it was only 8 episodes. More like a mini-series.

Speaking of mini-series, check out Kill Point. Kind of like the movie Inside Man (one of my favorites) except that it's 6 episodes long.
  5. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    29 Jun '10 18:45
    Originally posted by FMF
    Never heard of them.
  6. Standard memberDrKF
    incipit parodia
    Moves
    30 Jun '10 17:43
    Originally posted by FMF
    Mad Men has won (well deserved) critical acclaim - exceptionally slow moving and subtle, stands up to repeated viewing. It may be the pinnacle of the slew of super-high quality American dramas over the last decade or so.

Modern Family grew on me considerably. I believe it has some of the Frasier crew behind it and, while it's no Frasier it is pretty hilarious on occasion. New series starts in the autumn, so now would be a good time to obtain the first series and see what you think.
  7. silicon valley
    Moves
    01 Jul '10 03:04
    Originally posted by FMF
    The 70's Show
    Frasier
    Bernie Mac Show
    Mad About You
    King of Queens
    Everybody Loves Raymond
    One on One
    Good Times
    The Jeffersons
    Seinfeld
  8. silicon valley
    Moves
    01 Jul '10 03:04
    saw the trailers for Mad Men but didn't look interesting
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Jul '10 03:59
    Originally posted by zeeblebot
    Half way through the third series and I'd say it's one of the best and most thought provoking American period dramas I have ever seen.
  10. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    01 Jul '10 13:591 edit
    I would tend to agree that a person who would find That 70's Show, The Bernie Mac Show, The King of Queens, Everybody Loves Raymond, Good Times and The Jeffersons to be great TV would probably not appreciate Mad Men.
  11. Standard memberDrKF
    incipit parodia
    Moves
    01 Jul '10 15:34
    Originally posted by sh76
    I would tend to agree that a person who would find That 70's Show, The Bernie Mac Show, The King of Queens, Everybody Loves Raymond, Good Times and The Jeffersons to be great TV would probably not appreciate Mad Men.
    🙂
  12. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    01 Jul '10 22:52
    The 70's Show
    Frasier
    Bernie Mac Show
    Mad About You
    King of Queens
    Everybody Loves Raymond
    One on One
    Good Times
    The Jeffersons
    Seinfeld
    This is a list of shows I thank HBO for diluting.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree