Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Culture Forum

Culture Forum

1. Subscriber FMF
    a.k.a. John W Booth
    04 Sep '12 16:53
    If you like Americana meets British (or maybe British Isles) Folk, blended and apportioned with sublime musicality, topped with wistful lyrics, and superb guitar (mostly acoustic), well then this one is a gem. There's also loads of it, about 2 hours or more, with 2CDs and a bonus EP and all. Superior to the Richard Thompson release that has come out at more or less the same time, although the genres do not quite match, to be fair.
  2. Standard member mikelom
    Ajarn
    05 Sep '12 10:54 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    If you like Americana meets British (or maybe British Isles) Folk, blended and apportioned with sublime musicality, topped with wistful lyrics, and superb guitar (mostly acoustic), well then this one is a gem. There's also loads of it, about 2 hours or more, with 2CDs and a bonus EP and all. Superior to the Richard Thompson release that has come out at more or less the same time, although the genres do not quite match, to be fair.
    Sounds like he moved to the Isle of Man, and became all Ellan Vannin-like.

Not quite the Knopfler I like, but not bad.

-m.

This one is for sonhouse...... you'll like this mate!

Knopfler and Chet Atkins, no least!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wTVLIZaxMk&feature=fvwp&NR=1

3. Standard member Bosse de Nage
    Zellulärer Automat
    05 Sep '12 21:06
    I'm not sure I could.

So I read your post and do a search on Jethro Tull and blimey, wouldn't you know there's a sequel to Thick As A Brick, Whatever Happened To Gerald Bostock? - and it's on tour ...

Give me strength. Steady my hand. Fate's had a word with me. Where's me flute ...
  4. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    10 Sep '12 00:04
    Originally posted by mikelom
    Sounds like he moved to the Isle of Man, and became all Ellan Vannin-like.

Not quite the Knopfler I like, but not bad.

-m.

This one is for sonhouse...... you'll like this mate!

Knopfler and Chet Atkins, no least!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wTVLIZaxMk&feature=fvwp&NR=1

Imagine, a great version! I haven't followed Knopfler much but will look deeper now.
    My tastes in acoustic run more to Davy Graham, Bert Jansch, Martin Carthy, Martin Simpson and the like, John Renbourn.