1. Big D
    Moves
    21 Aug '08 13:50
    Like his great predecessor Errol Flynn, the American actor Mickey Rourke has also had his ups and downs, both in and out of film. In their youth, both men were good looking, athletic, typecast actors known as much for their on-screen roles as for their womanizing off screen. Both tried to make their mark outside of film: Rourke in boxing, Flynn as an author. History has been very kind to Flynn, the swashbuckling star of the Adventures of Robin Hood and the Sea Hawk. Meanwhile, Rourke, after a stretch where he was unemployable (due to his deranged behavior caused by head trauma from his boxing career, drugs and an unhealthy addiction to plastic surgery), has made a gradual comeback, first in bit parts (Get Carter, Man on Fire) and now in supporting roles (Sin City, Domino). It's probably too early to tell, but will history be as kind to Rourke as it has been to Flynn?
  2. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    21 Aug '08 21:51
    No. Flynn was a legend and Rourke never will be.
  3. Big D
    Moves
    21 Aug '08 22:16
    Originally posted by Badwater
    No. Flynn was a legend and Rourke never will be.
    You must have not seen Wild Orchids.
  4. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    22 Aug '08 01:25
    Originally posted by der schwarze Ritter
    You must have not seen Wild Orchids.
    Case in point.
  5. Big D
    Moves
    22 Aug '08 02:06
    Originally posted by Badwater
    Case in point.
    Wild Orchids is legendary in its awfulness.
  6. Pale Blue Dot
    Moves
    22 Aug '08 19:18
    How do you follow up Angel Heart?
  7. Big D
    Moves
    22 Aug '08 19:211 edit
    Originally posted by Green Paladin
    How do you follow up Angel Heart?
    Angel Heart is Rourke's best starring role to date, however, he's been spectacular in some recent supporting roles: Get Carter, Once Upon A Time in Mexico, Sin City; Domino. I think his best work may still lie ahead.
  8. Big D
    Moves
    22 Aug '08 19:23
    My mom loves Mickey Rourke. I tried explaining to her that he's evil, but Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man is one of her favorite films.
  9. Pale Blue Dot
    Moves
    22 Aug '08 19:281 edit
    Angel Heart is Rourke's best starring role to date, however, he's been spectacular in some recent supporting roles: Get Carter, Once Upon A Time in Mexico, Sin City; Domino. I think his best work may still lie ahead.
    I, too, am hopeful. If only he could put down that eyeliner.

Edit: Why use an adjective like 'spectacular' when 'egregious' will do?
  10. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    25 Aug '08 05:06
    No way....Barfly is his best role
  11. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    03 Dec '08 10:00
    Originally posted by uzless
    No way....Barfly is his best role
    I agree, even if the film is pretty weak.

Anyone looking forward to The Wrestler? Rourke's performance is said to be magnificent. It'll be an amazing turnaround for him if he actually gets a shot at an Oscar.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree