1. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    27 Sep '08 10:10
    Hi
    When I was a kid, I used to watch movies all the time and gathered quite a large vhs collection. Then as I got older, I kind of stopped for a while. About five years ago, maybe more, I bought a book titled 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die. I got right back into film again. I have been watching everything from the early days of silent pictures, to foreign films, to mainstream, to independent. Basically everything I can get my hands on. I thought I could just share a few movies I've seen and get some others' opinions.
    For instance, this week I rewatched Deliverance and Real Life.

Deliverance is a very disturbing film. It gets very high critic reviews. I enjoyed it, although I could have done without that one infamous scene. Does anyone else like or dislike it?

After that, I went on a lighter note and watched Real Life. I really got some belly laughs out of the film. If you get Albert Brooks, he's a delight. Lost in America is one of my favorites. Anybody seen these?

If this takes off, I'll mention more movies. As I said, I've seen or tried to see just about everything. 🙂
  2. The sky
    Moves
    27 Sep '08 11:01
    Originally posted by paulbuchmanfromfics
    Hi
    When I was a kid, I used to watch movies all the time and gathered quite a large vhs collection. Then as I got older, I kind of stopped for a while. About five years ago, maybe more, I bought a book titled 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die. I got right back into film again. I have been watching everything from the early days of sil ...[text shortened]... I'll mention more movies. As I said, I've seen or tried to see just about everything. 🙂
    Take it to the Culture forum, spanky!

I probably watched about one film per year as a kid, and not that much more as a young adult. I started to get more into it when I got a computer with a DVD player, and I have also seen some good films at the local film club. Today I am going to watch "2 oder 3 Dinge, die ich von ihm weiß" at the film club. Last week I watched "Yella", which is a rather strange film - I am not sure whether I like it or not. I haven't seen any of the films you mentioned.
  3. DISCO!
    Moves
    27 Sep '08 12:06
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Take it to the Culture forum, spanky!

I probably watched about one film per year as a kid, and not that much more as a young adult. I started to get more into it when I got a computer with a DVD player, and I have also seen some good films at the local film club. Today I am going to watch "2 oder 3 Dinge, die ich von ihm weiß" at the film club. Last week ...[text shortened]... lm - I am not sure whether I like it or not. I haven't seen any of the films you mentioned.
    And what is worse, you know it.

😀
  4. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    27 Sep '08 12:22
    death for all humans!

YouTube
  5. The sky
    Moves
    27 Sep '08 15:55
    Originally posted by Woodgie

😀
    Er... I know what?
  6. DISCO!
    Moves
    27 Sep '08 16:02
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    Er... I know what?
    Have you read the thread "you lie like a cheap watch" by Yo its me?
    I was so amused by all the endings to everybody else's posts that I forgot to just let go and move on quietly.
  7. The sky
    Moves
    27 Sep '08 16:11
    I was so amused by all the endings to everybody else's posts that I forgot to just let go and move on quietly.
    I read that thread, but it doesn't seem to make any sense in reply to my post. And what's worse, you know it!
  8. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    27 Sep '08 16:17
    Baaaa 😛
  9. DISCO!
    Moves
    27 Sep '08 16:43
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    Baaaa 😛
    To both my learned posters above, tee hee.

10. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    28 Sep '08 08:13

After that, I went on a lighter note and watched Real Life. I really got some belly laughs out of the film. If you get Albert Brooks, he's a delight. Lost in America is one of my favorites. Anybody seen these?

If this takes off, I'll mention more movies. As I said, I've seen or tried to see just about everything. 🙂
    To me, Albert Brooks is like Woody Allen in that his humor and delivery is very stylized and either you like it or you don't. Although AB is ok, I've always preferred a more irreverant or abstract humor. I've always thought if East Coast and West Coast (of the USA) types of humor as being distinctly different, and since I've always lived on the West Coast my humor leans that way. AB is East Coast humor, as is Seinfeld or Woody Allen. It's different from where we those of us who are huffing the Pacific Ocean find humor. It's not a good or bad thing, just different.

I can always tell an Easterner by what they find to be funny. 🙂
  11. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    28 Sep '08 11:27
    Originally posted by Badwater
    To me, Albert Brooks is like Woody Allen in that his humor and delivery is very stylized and either you like it or you don't. Although AB is ok, I've always preferred a more irreverant or abstract humor. I've always thought if East Coast and West Coast (of the USA) types of humor as being distinctly different, and since I've always lived on the West Coast ...[text shortened]... thing, just different.

I can always tell an Easterner by what they find to be funny. 🙂
    I'm not from the east at all. I don't play favorites with comedians either. I like Albert Brooks, Woody Allen, and Seinfeld, yes. I also like The Three Stooges, Laurel and Hardy, Abbott and Costello, The Marx Brothers, Monty Python, Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, Red Foxx, Rodney Dangerfield, Bob Newhart, and many many more. I don't really think geography is important. At least, not to me it isn't.
    Albert Brooks is actually considered the opposite of Woody Allen by critics. While Allen makes constant Jewish references, Brooks never really brings it up at all. Name some West Coast humor for me, just so I know who/what you're talking about. I wasn't trying to offend you, just responding with my opinion. Handshake 🙂
  12. At the Revolution
    Moves
    28 Sep '08 21:36
    Hi
    When I was a kid, I used to watch movies all the time and gathered quite a large vhs collection. Then as I got older, I kind of stopped for a while. About five years ago, maybe more, I bought a book titled 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die. I got right back into film again. I have been watching everything from the early days of sil ...[text shortened]... I'll mention more movies. As I said, I've seen or tried to see just about everything. 🙂
    I have that book! I don't watch the films in order (otherwise I'd get sick of silents and be awed by films with color and sound once I got to them) but I'm working my way through it. The author does a good job of getting to really obscure films.

The 120 Days of Sodom was a very well-made movie.
  13. lazy boy derivative
    Moves
    28 Sep '08 22:28
    Hi
    To understand Deliverance you have to read the book.
  14. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    29 Sep '08 06:33
    Originally posted by scherzo
    I have that book! I don't watch the films in order (otherwise I'd get sick of silents and be awed by films with color and sound once I got to them) but I'm working my way through it. The author does a good job of getting to really obscure films.

The 120 Days of Sodom was a very well-made movie.
    I have a lot of the movies in the book now. I skip around a lot. Luckily, I bought the book when VHS was going out of fashion. A local rental store had literally all there VHS tapes on sale for 1-4 dollars!!!
    I bought over 100 titles over a period of 4 weeks. I have caught many more on TV. I have also bought tons of DVD's, since I don't rent myself.

I may not have watched them in order, but I like reading about them in order. You kind of get a feel for the evolution of film itself. There are so many great films and directors in the book.

A movie that I really enjoyed was A Face In The Crowd. I'm not sure if it's in there, but I really like it. It's about power and corruption. The Sweet Smell Of Success is another of my personal favorites.
    I have many many more. For some reason those two just came to mind. 🙂
  15. Joined
    24 Aug '07
    Moves
    29 Sep '08 09:03
    I just thought of two more great movies. They are both very sad (in different ways). The Rain People (Directed By Coppola) is another of my favorite movies. Another really good, but sad and depressing movie is Testament.

Has anyone seen these?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree