Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Culture Forum

Culture Forum

  1. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    12 Apr '13 02:28
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3d4qKJZGkQ
  2. Standard member sonship
    the corrected one.
    13 Apr '13 13:25
    Bream introduced me to Fernando Sor's guitar music which I loved.
  3. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    13 Apr '13 21:16
    Originally posted by sonship
    Bream introduced me to Fernando Sor's guitar music which I loved.
    Did you get through the 20 studies?
  4. Standard member sonship
    the corrected one.
    24 Apr '13 02:23 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Did you get through the 20 studies?
    I can play the easier ones - 3 or 4 of them last time I checked.
  5. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    24 Apr '13 13:32 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by sonship
    I can play the easier ones - 3 or 4 of them last time I checked.
    Nice! I only got through 2, although I did write my own piece based on one of his studies, took the basic position and ran with it. The one in drop D playing A minor stuff.
  6. 24 Apr '13 23:35
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Nice! I only got through 2, although I did write my own piece based on one of his studies, took the basic position and ran with it. The one in drop D playing A minor stuff.
    I seen him live at the Royal academy of music and drama , Glasgow, had front row tickets. He was awesome, played the lute as well as the guitar, probably my favourite piece is Prelude to the the first Cello suite by Bach or Concierto de Aranjuez by Rodriguez.
  7. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    25 Apr '13 18:42
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    I seen him live at the Royal academy of music and drama , Glasgow, had front row tickets. He was awesome, played the lute as well as the guitar, probably my favourite piece is Prelude to the the first Cello suite by Bach or Concierto de Aranjuez by Rodriguez.
    The Concierto de Aranjuez was by Rodrigo, not Rodriguez. Did he have the orchestral backup for that piece or did he play a solo truncated version? It is a talkback kind of piece, it seems it would lose most of the rapture of the piece as just a solo guitar work.
  8. 26 Apr '13 08:17 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    The Concierto de Aranjuez was by Rodrigo, not Rodriguez. Did he have the orchestral backup for that piece or did he play a solo truncated version? It is a talkback kind of piece, it seems it would lose most of the rapture of the piece as just a solo guitar work.
    Its a piece for orchestra and guitar why would he play it solo? i think Paco de Lucia plays it better than Bream or Williams, if less technically.
  9. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    26 Apr '13 13:40
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Its a piece for orchestra and guitar why would he play it solo? i think Paco de Lucia plays it better than Bream or Williams, if less technically.
    It seems to me each generation of virtuoso's adds something to the mix so each generation seems to get better and Paco is no exception, he is the newer generation of players. It makes you wonder just how good people can get on the guitar. You see people like Tommy Emmanuel and the speed at which he can play and some of the speed demons of rock, you wonder how far they can take such speed. Which of course does not automatically make for higher class music. There is as much emotion in what you DON'T play or the spacing between notes as there is in the speed demons of rock.
  10. 26 Apr '13 19:57
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    It seems to me each generation of virtuoso's adds something to the mix so each generation seems to get better and Paco is no exception, he is the newer generation of players. It makes you wonder just how good people can get on the guitar. You see people like Tommy Emmanuel and the speed at which he can play and some of the speed demons of rock, you wonder ...[text shortened]... n in what you DON'T play or the spacing between notes as there is in the speed demons of rock.
    People like John McLaughlin, i cannot listen to his music, its like someone simply talking as fast as they can for extended periods. Speed is nothing, lyricism is what matters.
  11. Standard member sonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    27 Apr '13 12:04
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    People like John McLaughlin, i cannot listen to his music, its like someone simply talking as fast as they can for extended periods. Speed is nothing, lyricism is what matters.
    Yep, there is no musicality in pure speed. You see these youtube videos with names like the fastest guitarist in the universe and such and you can see they are moving fast but musical? About as musical as a buzzsaw.